1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Which turbo? T76 S trim or a T88?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Rodrigues, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Rodrigues

Im debating whether to get a T76 S trim or a T88, I tihnk the t76 S would do the job but the only thing stopping me from getting a t88 is whether or not my little 355 will be able to spool the thing on the street? Any of you guys have problems spooling a t88?

2. JZ 97 SS 1500

Which turbo?

An 88 will spool decent on a 355. But then all but the wildest setups you can get away with a 76GTS.

Jose

3. Rodrigues

Which turbo?

Think a t88 would work well with ported stock casting headS?

4. JZ 97 SS 1500

Which turbo?

Yes, it would work just fine. What rwhp you looking for???

Jose

5. Rodrigues

Which turbo?

Im looking for somewhere near 800 at the wheels, am i dreaming on stock castings?

6. Rodrigues

Which turbo?

Ill be ordering your PTK hot parts kit soon but will I have to get a different radiator fan setup like shown in your pictures if i went with a t88? What else would I have to do with an A2A setup?

7. JZ 97 SS 1500

Which turbo?

Yes the fans used are Dual Spal pushers, that you can see in my pictures below. As for A2A, we are working on a new A2A system for the LT1's also.

Jose

8. boostfed

Which turbo?

A PT88 is a good 1000 horsepower at the wheels turbo, it's overkill on a 355 looking for 800, IMO. Go look in the dyno archives section, the PT88 didn't start making a nice powerband till about 5500 on a 347, so it would be about the same on your 355. If I were in your shoes, I would run a PT76-GTS, or maybe even something a bit smaller like a PT74-GTQ to give you a bit quicker spool.

9. 64duece

Which turbo?

The easy answer.

Yes, your dreaming w/ 800hp to the wheels w/ stock castings. Spend a few $$$ for the Dart or Brodix. If you can afford the "out of the box" porting, AFR's are a nice investment. If your stuck w/ the stockers, a 70mm wheel will easily outflow them.

The 88 wheel will make more power w/ abit less efficiency vs the 76 w/ the same housing. I assume your speaking the same family so, there's not much difference w/ regard to spool characteristics. The 88mm is available as a big shaft (ie T series), medium frame and TV housing.

10. Rodrigues

Which turbo?

The heads will flow about 271 CFM, ive seen AFR heads that flow less than that, im talking stock castings not stock stock heads.

11. 64duece

Which turbo?

Right on....the more info the better.

12. formula94lt1

Which turbo?

Wait a minute maybe Im wrong, Jose would probably have a good idea, I looked at some compressor maps and used the lbs per minute times .069 formula to find CFM and it says a T76 would be very efficient on a 350 with a 92% VE even at a low 6 lbs and the I dunno T66 was a good bit less efficient most everywhere especially in the top end, so even if the t66 will push the air and is cvapable of the power wouldnt you want the t76 if it will do the same more efficiently, even if you're not dragging all its power potential out of it?