1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Which injectors for boosted Slant six?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by MoparFreak, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MoparFreak

Just curious as to what kind of injectors would be ideal for a turbo slant six in an 85 Dodge D150...
    Here's what I'm planning on running...

MSII V3.0 controlling fuel and spark.
    Custom tubular intake with custom fuel rail and a crown vic 4.6 throttle body.
    Holset HX35 turbo
    Ported stock exhaust manifold.
    Powerstroke intercooler
    Walbro Fuel pump (forgot the model number)
    AeroMotive AFPR
    Aftermarket Cam (not sure on specs yet)
    1.5" exhaust valves, minor headwork
    Wideband O2 sensor...
    A833 OD 4 speed

Looking to push this engine to around 400 hp but will settle for less. All this is goin on a stock shortblock (minus cam) with plans of a built all forged internals block in the future.

Are there any OEM injectors that would be ideal that I could scrounge out of a JY or is my only option to go with a new injector? From what I've researched, the ford 5.0 HO injectors (Bosch # 280-150-403) should support around 400 hp at a BSFC of .57 with 6 injectors at 80% duty cycle... Does this sound right? If so they should be the perfect injector for my setup.

Michael

2. mtpturbo

3. Matt Cramer

My own buildup is using Supra Turbo 440 cc injectors. But they may be a bit marginal for 400 hp on a turbo engine, although with a bump in fuel pressure I'll expect them to work well. There are some Mazda rotaries that used 550 cc injectors; those would be even better.

I'm pretty sure stock 5.0 injectors are 19 lb/hr, and that's way too small. What is the flow rating on the injectors you were looking at? You could run twelve 24 lb/hr injectors, and that'd supply your fueling needs and be a bit easier to find.

4. MoparFreak

I'm using the charts here. Go to the injectors under BOSCH and look for part number 280-150-403... Says they flow 47.9 lb/hr (or 503 cc/min) and came on the Ford 5.0 HO...
    http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

And there's also another chart here that shows the "403" injectors flowing 536 cc...
    http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/flow.htm

MTPTurbo, great link thanks for the info! I assume by selecting the "Supercharged" option that it also applies for turbo use?

Michael

5. Matt Cramer

I suspect those might be injectors for the TBI version, not the multi-port 5.0.

6. underpsi68

You have to post some pictures when that slant 6 is done. I had a supped up 225 back in the 80's. I would have loved to turbo it. :)

The 86 and up 5.0's used 19lb injectors. I would think you would need something larger than that. I would do something like 36's or 42's if you want 400hp. You can get them pretty cheap if you look around.

7. MoparFreak

Matt Cramer...
    Do a google image search for the Bosch PN I posted and they come up as multiport injectors... Maybe there's something I'm missing?

underpsi68, I'll definitely post some pictures! It'll be a slow build as being a full time college student trying to build a truck like this isn't something easy. That and I'll most likely be collecting parts up to this spring/summer when i can get back home to start putting it all together. But until then I plan on collecting parts and assembling a MSII system and fabbing up my intake and exhaust system while at school. Possibly get an engine rebuilt before then as well.

Holset HX35 and Powerstroke Intercooler should be here within a week or two! Bought them off Craigslist.com from Spokane and had to buddies going to school there go and check them out for me and they said the turbo is real tight and spins great with very little shaft play.

$335 later and they're bringing it back next time they come back from school... I'll post some pics then!

Michael

8. Matt Cramer

I'm not sure what's going on, but it may just be that Ford used injectors that look like multi-port injectors in their CFI systems. In that case you could probably get that particular injector to work. However, I'm certain those are not the injectors used in the usual 5.0 multi-port setup.

9. MoparFreak

Interesting... I guess it'd be best for me to go to a junk yard and see whats up...

Actually, my brother just got a 5.0 85 GT stang that is TBI I believe and he's bringing the car up the first week in March so I should be able to check out the injectors on his...

Michael

10. xr8tt

11. River City Speed

I grebbed a bunch of injectors out of TBI fords from the pick-n-pull last year. They were green tops but the nozzle looked different. You could probably make them work. But for your original question, you'll need 42 lb/hr min. for 400 HP 6 cylinder. The "rough" rule of thumb is a "CC" per HP. I don't know the math but I think 42's will get you in the mid 400 CC range. 50's would be safer. The last 6 cylinder I built ran 720cc injectors FWIW.