1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Filters vs screens on tu

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PEARL MUSSIN, Jun 26, 2016.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

So what's the consensus on filters vs screens? Just got my new set up put back together I don't have any filters on there now. I ran screens on my last set up, but I have been reading that it's a major no no? Anyone have any real world experience between the two? I'd like to not run anything but don't want to trash a turbo. My inlets are in the inner fender and there's not a lot of room for a filter. Just worried the small filter I would have to run would be too restrictive.

jeremy

2. Jeremy

On contraire I wouldn't be worried about a too small of an air filter, a small air filter/cleaner will still flow much better than a screen. A screen small enough to catch any kind of dirt/debris blocks a lot of surface area of the volute and makes the turbo work harder, with that said as long as your turbo and charge cooler can handle the increased pressure ratio and outlet temp from the screen restriction you usually don't see a measurable difference in performance. It can lead to oiling issues on an oil fed turbo from too much restriction on the inlet side of the compressor (pulling oil past seals). You can't really see/test the pressure difference on a turbo car since the boost level is gate controlled and the turbo will just work harder to get the same flow/psi level as you had before.

But on a centri blower you can see it since blower rpm is set. I have see a loss of 4psi at a 15psi level from a screen on a centri with a 4" compressor inlet. Where as a small paper or oiled cotton air filter only will only see a .5-1psi loss at this level. Hope that helps. In the end from my experience I would never run a screen unless it was a last resort and my setup could handle it.

We have ran over a 1000rwhp through a small air filter just like this. When mounted flush up against the compressor inlet it only sticks out 2-2.5" further past the inlet and has a diameter less than the compressor scroll diameter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191287565901?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. devo9er

I have that same exact filter posted above on my 70mm 302 sbf. I ran no filter a few times and noticed zero difference with or without to my surprise. Its a tiny filter but doesnt seem to choke it down at all. When i first opened the package I contemplated not using it because it looked too small. Then you poke around and find others making a lot of power through relatively tiny filters. Keep in mind the added surface area of the pleats on air filters. It nearly doubles the effective size of it. Bigger might certianly still be better, but like you I'm pretty limited on room and placement.

4. PEARL MUSSIN

Thanks guys. Thanks for the link.