1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to tie in PCV & filler vent?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by matt95, Apr 21, 2003.

1. matt95

I am close to having this turbo installed, just need to get all the vac. lines & stuff figured out. sn95 w/cartech ss:

- vent on the valve cover filler neck?
    - PCV valve?

Should I tie these two together and connect to the downpipe w/ 1 way check valve?

- Any reason to keep the egr?

- How do I route the hoses from the scroll to the wastegate (deltagate) using a manual boost controller - does it just go inline?

2. matt95

ttt

3. Steed93

I put a vaccum plug on the filler neck vent. There used to be a line running from that to the intake. I plugged the one on the intake too. For the PCV valve, you will have to put a one-way check valve inline routing to the intake. Or, you can get a PCV valve from an SVO/Turbo Coupe that is boost friendly. That's what I heard on Stangnet. I will be getting one of these if I can.

I have my wastegate actuator vaccum lines T'd into a manual boost controller that is routed to the intake.

4. CASTURBO

Re: Where to tie in PCV & filler vent?

The vent on the VC neck should be plugged off if you run an open breather or run a line from the nipple to the intake side of the turbo if you run the Ford oil fill cap. This is the spot the motor needs to vent itself when the motor is in boost due to blowby.

The PCV valve needs to see engine vacuum only, so a check valve of some sort inline with it will keep boost out of the motor. Running the PCV is important to keep the motor from leaking oil and eliminating nasty oil fumes from venting with an open element VC breather. The downpipe has no vacuum in it so you can't run it there.

You should keep the EGR as at part throttle the motor needs it. Without the EGR, part throttle pinging is prone to happen due to the ignition advance being so much. But, I suppose if you lock the timing (spout out) that should allow EGR elimination.

Manual boost controllers usually hook up to the "other" port normally not used. Pretty sure the port on the top with no fitting supplied is the one you want. On my Deltagate, it's the port next to the WG setting nut.

5. Mike SVOR

Where will the crank case blow by go when under boost?

6. matt95

After that evac thread, I thought there was vacuum in the downpipe?

mike SVOR- Good point, seems like that might blow out the dipstick and/or seals.

I just need to get this stuff figured out, I really want to take it for a ride!!

7. Mike SVOR

Exactly

Vent it. Go to Discount Auto or Pep Girls and get two of those tiny k+n style breathers. Put one on the top of the valve cover, and put one on the top of the pcv valve in the lower intake. Plug the rest of the holes.

8. CASTURBO

Running without PCV is gonna make a mess......it did bigtime for me at least. Any bit of blowby will never leave the internals of the motor, rather they might just ventilate thru the breather eventually. Running without PCV also turned the oil black in just a few hundred miles too :mad: .

9. Mike SVOR

If your getting excessive blowby in your motor, I say you have a problem.

The key word here is pressure. There will be no pressure in your crankcase.

Whaaa? I really doubt that a vented crankcase turned your oil black. Don't you think it would be caused by excessive blow by like you stated with
    ???

Just remember,
    When under boost and running a PCV system, there is no way to vent your crank case pressure, except through your seals and your dipstick.

10. matt95

Thanks for the tips guys. I am starting to get a better understanding of what needs to be done for proper ventilation/vacuum.

11. Enginerd

One problem with running a breather on the valve cover oil fill neck is that eventually the filter gets soaked with oil and then starts to drip onto your passenger side header, creating smoke and stink. I switched back to the stock fill neck cap and then ran a hose off the nipple on the neck, ending down under the car. Put the breather on the end of the hose.

Rob

12. PEARL MUSSIN

I run a breather on my valve cover and never had oil on the breather, then again I still run the stock valve covers with the baffle in them.

Jeremy

13. Mike SVOR

yep,

I run the stock valve covers too, but I removed the baffles. No problems here either.

Mike

14. Catfish

I was having problems with oil in the intake. I eliminated the PCV and put the K&N threaded style breather into the filler fube. Ran the car hard last night with no problems.

15. matt95

Catfish - How exactly did you eliminate the pcv?

16. vegastang

I'm eliminating my PCV this weekend as well. I'm sick of fighting with it.

Get some valve covers that have the baffle in them, then just use the large K&N breather on the oil cap, or regular style breathers on each cover, or a combo of both.

17. matt95

Do you just leave the pcv in the intake not hooked to anything or take it out and plug the hole?

18. vegastang

either i guess, just don't leave it open for garbage to fall into

19. Mike SVOR

Leave the PCV valve in the lower intake.

Take the plastic 3/8 tube that used to connect the valve cover to the throttle body, and connect it to the PCV valve. Then put the breather on the end of the tube. This way the breather is about even with the top of the upper intake.

Attach the second breather directly to the valve cover nipple.

20. Catfish

For the time being, I just plugged the hose running off the PCV, and plugged the two hoses on the intake. It's ugly, but it suits the rest of the engine bay. I will be taking the upper intake off to properly plug the intake and then I need to find a good 1" plug for the PCV hole in the lower. I don't really know what I am going to use yet. I may end up machining a plug to fit in the rubber grommet that the PCV goes in to. A 1/2" pipe thread plug is just a little too tight for the hole.