1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to start on a 1990 Chevy Cheyenne 305 5.7l? Have Schwitzer Turbo, can buy new

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Furroh, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Furroh

I'm looking to turbo my 1990 Chevrolet Cheyenne. It has a 305 in it. We have a turbo we got somewhere a long time ago off a Dodge Cummins that is fully functional but not sure if it would fit. I watched some videos and some people said to buy a T40 because the Small Block 305 is a Throttle Body (TPI).

Turbo Specs:
    970ebb70d4521668a3ac948bf259891a.jpg #ad

My questions
    • Would this Turbo we have work?
    • Should I just buy a T40 off eBay? If so, what else do I need?
    • Or should I buy a whole kit
    • Is this even possible?

970ebb70d4521668a3ac948bf259891a.jpg #ad

2. turbomalibuwagon

Re: Where to start on a 1990 Chevy Cheyenne 305 5.7l? Have Schwitzer Turbo, can buy n

I would start with checking clerence on the turbo you have. Find out if it's a usable. Next what are your goals for this project? Power ,drivabillity, daily driver ,pump gas etc etc . As far as fitting that turbo in your truck. We're all into fitness around here, fitness a bigass turbo on anything lol. Big turbo will be a slow spool on the low end power but will have huge potential for hp in the upper rpm . Smaller turbo will light off fast but will not flow enough air at higher rpm to maintain big hp . The trick is to be somewhere in the middle for a street application and enjoy your vehicle and not get to caught up in the hp number. I would warn you not to get to into the throttle body injection your truck came with it has very little potential to make much power and is a dinosaur to tune . Way I see it you have two options for your fuel system. One buy a megasquirt 2 and use your stock distrubitor . Run the throttle body for now if you can't make the purchase of a multi port intake ( example is tune port of 80s z28) . Power would be limited till you can swap to mpi . Next would be swap to carb and buy an ignition system with a boost management timing control. Like a msd box part #6530. You will need to work out a budget on your own and decided what you are comfortable spending. Tpi from a camaro can be had cheap on ebay just have to watch for one (100-500 bux) . MS2 is a 300 bux for a kit if you're able to put it together or complete it's 450 bux assembled. Relay board and a few other things will get you to a few hundred more to make it simple and easy. Fuel pump up grade will be the same for carb or efi only difference is the regulator you will need to setup for low pressure on a carb and high pressure on efi both will need to be bypass and rising rate boost referenced. The carb and ignition will probably land you in the same 1100-1500 dollars range to get all the parts and pieces.

3. Furroh

Re: Where to start on a 1990 Chevy Cheyenne 305 5.7l? Have Schwitzer Turbo, can buy n

Thank you for all of this. Now, say I sold this turbo on eBay. I want this truck for power, drivability and it will be a daily driver. Say I sold the turbo I have now, what Turbo should I buy? I'd prefer to buy a kit so I don't have to haggard a lot of things.

4. turbomalibuwagon

The problem with the kits on ebay is they don't really fit anything well. And often they need to cut and weld on the headers to get it to clear the steering column and such . A true 88-98 truck kit would cost lots and good luck finding a place. If you want to buy a kit check out vs racing he had a deal with the sloppy mechanics kit think it was a ebay gt45 and headers for reasonable price you build your own cross over. Don't quote me on that but check it out. The 69mm ebay gt45 I feel is a good size turbo for a stockish short of street driven sbc setup. Keep in mind that even with a kit you will need to buy fuel system and other things that are not present in the eBay kits.

5. turbomalibuwagon

I wouldn't rule out the ht3b either. May not be the best way but they do have a frw different housings. What exhaust housing numbers are on the turbine? Only thing to remember is that HT cummins turbo is reversed of the most common rotation turbos.

6. M&M Turbochargers

a gt45 would work pretty good

7. ng8264723

Having built a 91 Silverado myself and finding all the little issues. I would follow my advice. If this is a daily driver DO NOT turbo charge it. Look for a used SC kit for your truck and bolt it on with the recommended tune. You will need deep pockets to make this work correctly and a lot of time. It is not worth it!
    The TBI will not fly. The FI lines can be used but you need a carb.
    The 305 will lift it heads and boost your cooling system. You need felpro gaskets and at least ARP bolts.
    Again a turbo project is not good for a daily driver

8. flyinhillbilly

You could sit in it once it fuses itself to your jack stands and make turbo noises.

9. turbomalibuwagon

Just ls swap the world .

10. ng8264723

Have you seen how far I went? Look at my build thread. I'm too far into it to swap now

11. turbomalibuwagon

I haven't lol I'm in the same boat I kinda wish I would've went ls but I did sbc . I'm in a g body wagon tho.

12. flyinhillbilly

I did a gen 1 and don't regret it, but it will go LS once I destroy it. There's just too much bang for your buck there, and besides that, I only have two 23 degree blocks left.