1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

02 Sensor Palcement?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ItCouldHappen, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ItCouldHappen

Where should I place my 02 sensors, I have seen them both in the downpipe elbows on the t-bird/merker turbos like the ones I have. And I have seen folks capped off those holes and place them farther downstream. Should I do this and just keep them in the stock location, or cap the stock location extend the wires and put them in the elbows????

I dunno???

2. ItCouldHappen

Nobody knows?

3. Brandon

mine are in the somewhat stock location. a few inches after the collector.

4. ItCouldHappen

I have seen a few people put them in the elbows of the downpipes and was wondering which is the best or is it personal preference

5. Barry D.

typically you want the O2 sensor as close to the heat source as possible. incon was able to use the stock location b/c there was hardly no more distance b/w the header and O2 than there was with their turbo placement/header style. If the O2 is too far away from the heat, it won't work very well and I would imagine cause the car to run terrible in part throttle conditions. My O2 sensors are in the elbow coming right off the turbo...they've worked fine so far.

6. ItCouldHappen

to just put them in the elbows all I would have to do is lengthen the wires and capp the holes in the h-pipe?

7. Brandon

becarful on the wires o2's work off resitance and having bad connections changes the signal.

dont know if you are single or twin but make sure you keep the correct o2 on the correct side.

8. Barry D.

I didn't have to lengthen the wires for my O2 sensors where my turbos are. I just unhooked them from the spot in my x-pipe and moved them to the turbo elbow and plugged up the spot in the x-pipe so I'm not sure if lengthening them would have much effect on them or not as I didn't have to do that.