1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to Mount my 02 Sensors? Help A NEWBIE

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 91svtcoupe, Nov 15, 2008.

1. 91svtcoupe

I am putting the 02 sensors in my turbo Mustang...I know some people don't run them but I want too. I have one bung on the down pipe right as it comes off the Turbo. Okay to just stager the other one right after it? or should I move it down towards the bottom of the car? also a Wide band going on also. My kit is PTK and it has a bung in the crossover pipe plus one on the passenger side header. However it doesn't seem like a good idea to put one in before the turbo incase it was to come apart?

Question:

Straight line?
    Side By Side? .
    stagered? . . Like the dots?

2. prisco

also interested in this

3. mustangcobra438

you want to put the o2's about 18inches from turbo in the domn pipe. if you allready have one about that distance just stager the other one beside it. Make sure they are not upside down because you dont want and condensation to be able to sit in the o2. wide band can be placed close to the other 2 o2 sensors,but i perfer to put the wideband under car about 30inches from turbo. :2thumbs:

4. DCH

I run my o2's about 12 inches back from the turbo, we fine..

5. turbo cat

I run mine pre turbo and havent had any issues

6. Millhouse

The narrowbands can go as close to the exhaust housing as you want...as they rely on the heat from the exhaust to function properly.

The wideband needs to be 18+ inches from the exhaust housing as it uses it's own internal heating/cooling system.....and when they get too hot, bad things happen. :2thumbs:

7. 91svtcoupe

If I do this just put the wideband in the back and move the 02's up? would this be okay?

Also I there is a place in the down pipe for one and another place in the passender side header? However I was told that things before the Turbo Could be bad? if they come apart or something?

8. mustangcobra438

Personally that is why i never put anything pre turbo. You usually dont here of a o2 sensor breaking into pieces but their is always that chance and thats why i dont put anything pre turbo.

9. 03sonicturbo

Same here!

10. Matt Cramer

It's hard to tell from that photo exactly which way they're pointing, but if the sensors are not angled down that should be just fine.

11. dman

i've run narrow band 02's pre-turbo for years. Got a customer with pre-turbo 02's going on 10 years of daily driving. Never runs race gas and has never changed the sensors. Turbo Buicks had them pre-turbo as well. Wide band is different story. I would put that as far after the turbo as possible.

12. mustangcobra438

i agree that they work just fine, worked on a few cars with the same setup that ran perfect. Honestly i dont think that it matters on the narrow bands if they are in the d pipe or pre turbo,i just have always had this fear in the back of my head"What If". By the way thanks a lot for the intercooler that i got from ya at Race Part. I love the fit of that thing on my SN95, Everything that i have purchased from yall has been good quality stuff and you are always on my first to call list. :2thumbs:

13. dman

hey, glad to help. Oh speaking of something going thru the turbo I have a story...

Back in 1990 I had a Turbo Engineering kit on my 88 coupe. While it was down for one of it's many headgasket changings at a local speed shop ( i knew the owner and was allowed to turn my own wrenches there) I had to leave the car overnight. I finished up the job and drove the car home. On the way i noticed this rattling noise. Sounded like metal was hitting the exhaust. Didn't pay it much mind till a few days later leaving a traffic light i rolled into the throttle to find NO BOOST. WTF? i thought the turbo locked up. So i pulled the turbo off the car, which was mounted under the frame rail below the battery. As i pulled the turbo away from the flange a PUSHROD fell out.!!!!!!!!!!! How the hell did that manage to get down into the "Y" pipe?????. Mind you my engine was still running fine and had all of it's pushrods in their proper place. The exhaust wheel was eating the pushrod slowly. There was a grove in the wheel too as they must have been similar metals and were wearing evenly. Since I was a broke jamoke back in the day i couldn't afford a new turbo so i stuck her back on the car and went on with my life of beating up turbo porsches and supercharged mustangs. Turbo lasted thru 2 more owners of the kit and i lost track of who owned it after that. So ease your mind.... Now the compressor impeller is a different story

14. mustangcobra438

lol,aint that crazy how things like that happen sometimes. the only thing that weird that ever happened to me was i found a scrapper in the oil pan of a truck that i bought and the only reason that i knew that it was there is because i was changing out the oil pump several hundred miles after i purchased the vehicle. No damage was done to the motor that i ever realized, sold the truck still running 70thousand miles later 8)