1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to get a cummins drive-line for swap

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by WISHIKNEW, Jan 21, 2008.

1. WISHIKNEW

Hey guys, hope you can help with this one. does anyone know where to get a newer cummins drive line for a swap. maybe you know of some forums or something? and when i say newer I mean mid 1990's on up

Thansk guys

DEREK

2. Big_Ed

Give Pratts auto salvage a call in Hoxie, AR. They should be able to either locate one near them, or maybe inform you of a place near you that can help.

(870) 886-3205

3. czcapri

4. mondtster

I'm assuming that you're probably looking for the 5.9L B or ISB series motors as found in the Dodge pickups, but depending on what you're actually looking for will depend on where you might want to look.

I'd suggest looking at medium and heavy duty truck junkyards as the B series motors were used in more than just Dodges and would possibly be cheaper than looking at a normal junkyard.

5. coposrv

Another good motor to scoop up if you find one is an international dt466. It's like a 5.9 cummins but with about a hundred more cubes :2thumbs:. Its heavy though some suspension work might be in order.

6. mondtster

I would say that the 8.3L C or ISC series Cummins motors would be more of the equivalent to the dt466 than the little 5.9 B series stuff is. The dt466 is a good motor regardless, but I don't think that either of these motors would make for a realistic swap into a light duty pickup. It depends on what he is looking for however since the original question was very vague.

7. WISHIKNEW

Thanks for the help guys... trying to finde a nice 12 valve for my 86 s-10 ... I have a 99 24 valve truck and just love it.

8. larouchedem

In an S-10? I don't doubt that it could be done, but that's a pretty long engine. I would look at the 4BT, which is the same engine in 4 cyl form. Afaik, the 4 weighs 600+, so the 6BT is way heavy. The 4BT is common in "bread" trucks, often with an adapter and a TH400, which will probably bolt to other chevy transmissions. They often have GM style ps pumps. The bell adapters also fit the 6BTs, fyi.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/

Dave

9. mondtster

The 4bt weighs somewhere around 800-900 lbs, while the 6bt weighs in the neighborhood of 1100 IIRC.

IMHO, don't even waste the time trying to put the 6bt in the s-10 because there won't be anything left of it. The 6bt is somewhat of a tight fit in a full size Dodge much less in something as small as an s-10.

The 4bt would be a better choice, but it vibrates a lot. It also is tall and I'm not certain that it is going to fit well (if at all) around the engine crossmember. I haven't researched the swap, but here is a site that has a lot of conversions and more info on the 4bt:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=1b1bb748cd83d9fbb702958e81412377&f=7

There is also a bunch of 4bt motors for sale right now on the Government Liquidation website in various states of disrepair. You might be able to pick up a couple of them and make a good one. I'm not sure what the original application on them is, but you may need some rework on the injection pump for automotive use if they were originally industrial/stationary engines.

10. Turbo91GT

What do plan on doing with the S-10?

11. streetone01

12. Turbo91GT

You prolly know already, but destroked has a ton of sweet parts for a cummins conversion into a wide variety of vehicles. I just purchased their adapter plated to mate a cummins to a zf-6spd and to be honest with you, it is a work of art

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00969tz7.jpg

13. samuraibiged

Are you running the ZF yet?

14. chowder48

the little 4bt was common in the mail and ups trucks.. should be able to find one...