1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to get 50mm Trial (replica) replacement diaphragm

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by maviday, Mar 23, 2021.

1. maviday

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the whole turbo charging scene and bought myself a 50 mm replica wastegate and received it with a small tear in the diaphragm. I got a bunch of money back on it but now I'm stuck trying to find a 50 mm diaphragm. I'm new to these forums and did a brief search on this topic and couldn't find anything yet so I went ahead and made this post.

IMG_20210320_125022.jpg #ad

2. B E N

Contact the seller, show them the pic. They should replace it.

3. maviday

I did, all that; they gave me $20 back and no help getting replacement parts. I thought Tial made a 50mm but I guess I was wrong? Trying to find any 50mm replacement part that might work. I only paid like $50 for it, and rest of it seems fine... Don't ask...

4. Mnlx

I would personally cut my losses, and buy a name brand gate, or at least an import from someone like vs racing.

B E N likes this.
  5. maviday

Soooo, aside from the quality check/control of the unit it is of basic-good quality/design <- this, coming from an engineer who's had a lot of experience with design/durability testing. In other words. It's fine. Just wish I could easily source the diaphragm. I'm sure they're available somewhere, or some part number works/is interchangeable off of something else. That's why I'm in here asking the question to see if anyone else has tackled this problem. Thanks for your input Mnlx. Additionally, if we can solve this issue, lots of people can benefit from being able to find this piece.

6. B E N

Of course it's a good design, its a direct rip off of a well designed unit.

There is lot's of info on these forums about what it takes to make a china gate operate well. My view on it is that is a component, which if fails can cost you an engine pretty well instantly. Why would you cheap out on that? If you hadn't noticed that tear you would have had NO boost control.

7. Mnlx

Why would they benefit from buying a new gate that's defective, and having to repair it before it does harm? The only benefit I see coming from this is educating someone on which cheap gate not to buy.

That said, it's most likely a copy, so you just need to find out what it's a copy of. Probably better off to start comparing external appearances.

8. maviday

Good point. However, even if there weren't anything wrong with it, and I'm sure there are many others just like it from other sellers, it's always beneficial to be able to replace your diaphragm. Am I wrong? It is just silicone/(some sort of fiber) in the long run and other manufacturers typically offer replacement diagrams for this reason.

9. maviday