1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

where to drill for vacuum and what kind of ignition box

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by joes69, Dec 29, 2014.

1. joes69

I had a couple questions.I just put a team g intake on my car and it doesn't have a factory vacuum port.I was wondering if you can drill and put a nipple in the 1 inch spacer under carb or would you drill into intake and if in the intake where do you drill.Do you drill right under carb or somewhere else...2nd question is im getting ready to buy another ignition box and was looking at msd6btm so I can take out timing.Is this a good box or do you guys have a better recommendation.IM running a 454bbc with s475 and blow through quickfuel

2. Rickracer

You can put the vacuum port in the spacer or the intake, either will work. If you do the intake, I'd go maybe a half inch below the carb mounting surface, centered, in the rear. What intake are you running? I had great luck with the tall Holley Strip Dominator on my old 427, as well as several small blocks. As far as an ignition box, the MSD Digital 6AL2 (6530), and an HVCII coil would be the perfect complement to your combo. I'm running the same setup on my twin turbo 355, on E85 blow-through, in a 2540 lb Vega, and absolutely LOVE IT!!!

3. joes69

im running a team g intake.Will take a look at the msd 6530 im going to order a box this week

4. leeperryracing

I drilled my vic jr manifold on the driver's side (should've put it in the rear for a cleaner look) about 1" down from the carb mounting surface. I use the Mallory 685 box.....not as "fine tunable" as the msd 6530 but does very well for the price and it has a push button interface on the front so no need for a laptop.

5. joes69

I looked at the programmable 6530 and im pretty illiterate when it comes to the program stuff.I have the laptop but is the 6530 easy to use.I barely got my lm2 working to read a/f so im not sure about the new age stuff.Can you give me your take on the 6530.I know it says you can take timing out for boost type of stuff but do you do it by rpms and if so what is a example of how you set yours up..Sorry for these questions im trying to get a read on the 6530..thanks in advance

6. Rickracer

The 6530 is way easier than the LM-1 to me. If you are going to run boost with the 6530, you'll want the MAP sensor as well, mine is a 3 bar. You tell the 6530 which MAP you have and it calibrates itself accordingly. You can pull timing by the amount of boost (in .25 psi increments), by rpm, by one of three retard inputs (say, for nitrous, or high gear retard), you can ramp in and ramp out the retard as well. Go here to download the ProData software: http://apps.msdignition.com/1softdownload.htm , you can install it and play with it, and see how everything works, :cool:

7. joes69

thanks so much im going to try the 6530.I only will run 12-15psi so will go with the msd 2 bar map.I appreciate you help this technology thing is mindblowing.Im a old high compression,big cam old school guy and I have went way out of the box with the turbo and now using a laptop to help tune....will see how it goes..thanks again