1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin PT67's on a 358w?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 5.0calypso93lx, Aug 4, 2010.

1. 5.0calypso93lx

I've decided to run twins on my 93' LX hatch rather than a big single. I don't want to hack my car's inner fenders up and it will be easier to fit two smaller turbo's rather than one large turbo. I've spoke with Jeff at Pony Down and I've decided on his Stage 3 twin headers.

I know that twin PT67's will be way overkill for my motor right now, but how will the car react with two PT67's? I've found a pair for a good price and I'm really debating on picking them up.

These are the exact turbo's:

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/650-1550

They've got the .70 AR front covers with ported inlets and they have the T4 .58 AR hot sides.

My motor is a 358" windsor with forged pistons and rods, using a 71' block and stock crank, with a set of Trick Flow high ports, Trick Flow R box intake, and a custom grind hydraulic roller turbo cam. Compression is 8.0:1 and I'm running a Tremec 3550.

This shortblock is more or less temporary and once I get used to the car I plan on moving up to an aftermarket blocked, 351w based stroker.

The car is also primarily a street car.

I know that a set of 60's would be much better for my current combo, but it would be really nice if I only had to buy turbo's once.

2. LowBoostinT76

I say go for it. I ran a very similar combo, but had 60's with 359ci and now upgraded the engine and wish I had 68's or larger now.
    I had a tremec 3550 when I first got it together, I swapped to an auto trans (th400). If you plan on going auto, which I highly recommend, the converter will make all the difference and the turbos will be spooled instantly.
    Responce will be way better with the big turbo/auto trans than with smaller turbo and a manual.

3. 5.0calypso93lx

What benefits do the newer billet wheels have? And yes, they're sub $550 a piece.

4. 5.0calypso93lx

Yea, I know that an auto will definitely help out in pretty much all areas for the car, but I'm on somewhat of a budget and this is what I have to work with right now. Hell, the turbo's themselves will only be used for mock up for the rest of the exhaust for now.

5. badassTTstang

twin 67s on my 347 spool instantly anywhere above 2800 rpm and i have nothing special. Trickflow street heat heads and just under 9:1 compression. This is with h covers, and .96ar on both. I think the ar on those is WAY small.

6. TTFBDY

With what size turbine wheel?

7. Enginerd

With "old technology" P trim wheels I went 8.70's. Put some F1-65 wheels on and saw no noticable difference in spool.

8. yellowpony

I say do it, i have p-trim wheels on my car, twin 61's and run 8.90's at over 160mph. They are cheap enough and that car will haul ass with 68's.

Anthony

9. ash

what rpm is ur shift ?
    i had 66mm's on 358 cubes, simular turbines, and .82 a/r turbines, and run out of air before 7500 rpm...

10. ash

yep... you are right... ;)
    some of the older wheel combo's flowed quite well...
    i know of a twin 76 , Q trim , .96 a/r , went 4.1's , in 3100lbs , and 520 cubes in the 1/8th