1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

valvebody problems

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by goose, Oct 8, 2003.

1. goose

why does this always happen? i don't think i've ever bought a performance part without having some kind of issue. i took the car out for a spin the other night and on the way back to the house i hit a red light so i started down shifting and when i went into 1st gear the damn wheels locked up. i bought a PA manual transbrake valve body for an aode and apparently the transbrake just decided to come on. at first i thought maybe the something was wrong with the switch and sending current to the brake, but that was not the case. i also noticed that when i put it in park it's actually in gear now - wasn't like the before. so i called PA and explained what happened and the guy told me yeah we've had problems with about 1 out of every 10 and yours happened to be in that 10%. he said they still are not certain why it happens to some cars and not others but for me to send it back and they would repair it. if you don't know why it's happening how the hell are they going to fix it, is my question. sorry for the long post just kinda venting and sick of the aftermarket parts problems.

later
    mike

2. dsman

I can't help you with your problem, but care to post any pics of your setup? I've always loved turbo SN95's :D

3. tom351

something in the valve body is sticking, probably because of clearance(like a 30 over piston in a stock bore) had the same problem when i had a turbo 400 behind my supercharged 351...consider yourself lucky....when mine locked up i had just crossed the 1/8 mile finish line doing 106 mph...and yes, it did put flat spots on the new slicks...sent it back asap...or better yet, tell them you dont want that one, tell them you want a new one

4. Matt W

Mike,

Glad to see things are "working". Let me know when you and Paul are heading to the dyno. I'll bring the camcorder and camera :)

Later
    Matt

5. goose

i'm just glad i wasn't going any faster when it happened, it would have really sucked to break an axle or something. what's up Matt, i'm taking to MD Performance for the tuning sometime, it's gonna be an all day thing. George said it will be an 8-10 hour day and he's going to teach me about using the FAST system.

later

mike

6. goose

dsman - i'll post some pics soon but to tell you the truth it looks like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag. there's absolutly no room, anywhere.

7. wakywaco

oh my fucking god, i thought i was the only one with a valvebody problem from p/a. my transmission locked up going into overdrive at 130 mph. i almost killed me and my boss. we slid from one side of the hiway to the the next till i got it under controll and turned off the od. p/a said that 1 out of every 10 valve bodys did this. sound familiar. im buying a lenteck.

8. tom351

a tip on the locking up...if it locks up, pull it back a gear and it will unlock, or if you have a racing shifter throw it in neutral

9. wakywaco

actualy mine did not unlock, when you turn on overdrive its on untill you relaese it. i pulled mine back and slamed it in neutral too. its a solinoid that controlls it, so unless its off your screwed

10. goose

they told me 1 out of 10 also. mine has only ever locked up in 1st gear and i don't have any electronics hooked up to it other than the wire going to the transbrake. so i don't have od right now. i did through it up in neutral though. glad i was only going about 5 mph when it happened to me, that was bad enough.

11. rl-

I wouldn't plan on using over-drive with a Full Manual valve body and a AODE or a 4R70W. Disconnecting the EPC solenoid does nasty things on street cars that see a lot of low RPM driving.

Rob

12. wakywaco

i just sent p/a one of the nastiest emails of all time. they will never get my business again

13. Matt W

Where is MD Performance? That's not Skips shop is it? Let me know and I'll stop by for a few minutes if you don't mind.

Later
    Matt

14. silverback

Sounds like he's talking about the MD Performance Center by the Gaithersburg Airpark... Cessna drive or something like that...

15. goose

yeah, they're by the airpark. where u from silverback?

16. silverback

I live right on the laurel/burtonsville line but used to live in Olney... I'm betting quite a few of you know my little brother AlexLTDLX fom the corral