1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What's this crap inside my T3

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by rhyno9, Dec 29, 2005.

1. rhyno9

I needed to pull the turbine housing off the chra to drill out a snapped bolt. Once I got the 2 apart there was some blackish brownish chunks (kinda like small pebbles but they looked like cubes) of junk that were stuck in between the turbine wheel and the cup and then between the chra and the cup. This turbo has been sitting on my shelf for at least 2 years and was purchased used. Would this be a sign of coked bearings? I really don't want to open up the chra unless I have to because this thing has very, very little play and it spins really nicely once I got the bigger pieces of crud out of there.

Any thoughts on my next step?

Thanks
    RV

2. 87vert

prolly just carbon build up.

3. rhyno9

That makes a lot of sense. I pulled apart 2 other T3's I had and 2 of the 3 had lots of crap and the turbine wheesl were black and charred. The other one's wheel was white and had very little crap in it.

Should I just blow as much of it out as possible and then bolt it back together and let the rest burn off by itself?

Thanks
    RV