1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What's safe hp limit for 383 b motor

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by 383turbo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. 383turbo

Hi all first post & new to turbos.
    Have a incomplete 383 build underway , & I now want to add a turbo .
    I want to make use of the parts I already have.
    Build so far . Stock 69 383 block freeze fitted x8 new sleeves back to std bore . 1/2 oil pick up & oil galley mods.
    arias spelling ? Forged dome tops , 0 deck height, floating pins.
    std conrods resized & shot peened with arp bolts, fully prepped .
    std steel crank lightened & all balanced.
    std main caps , line honed , arp studs, 1/4 filled block.
    10.5:1 comp
    indy ez 75cc closed chamber heads. 2.19 / 1.81
    1.6 roller rockers
    ported Holley street dominator inlet manifold
    1 3/4 headers . Not real good but what I got.
    No cam or blow through carb yet.
    my goal with turbo is 650-700 hp engine, 700lbs torque . But really want a nice street able , e85 rear mounted bw s400sx , that's more efficient & much quieter than a 550-600hp NA engine. Any help or direction would most appreciated thanks

2. 383turbo

Btw 3400lbs Aussie dart pickup (ute)
    3500 stall fully built 727 manual reverse v/b
    8 3/4 braced , Detroit locker, ukon axles 3.9:1 26" tyres

3. Mnlx

It'll handle your hp goals, and more without issue imo. I wouldn't be scared of 8-900 with a block that sonic tests good. If I were to change anything it would be your gearing.

4. 70wayfarer

what year is the ute. my turbo build is a '70 VF Wayfarer.

5. 383turbo

Thanks guys for the replies . 1st my ute is a 69 vf . Well I think that's what it is. Says vf 67 & paint code & that's it no other numbers or stamping. It has a vf front . So to me it's a vf & the vin number is my paint code lol.
    2nd I know I'll need to change diff gears & may put billet bearing caps in the centre at the same time. Not sure on ratio yet as the turbo is a game changer. I know tyre height comes into as well as what will fit, also it's possible to have a nice cruiser now that I can take on long drives . The 3.08 - 293 gears are kind of appealing atm as a dual purpose hwy driving ,with the bonus of giving traction a Chance. Some will say loading the turbo as well . Well there's heaps to learn & I'm all ears thanks again.

6. 383turbo

Dropped a head off to cyl head shop to measure Spring pressure & installed heights. I have really heavy solid roller springs at the moment , I'm looking at using bee hive springs & retainers as well as light weight direct lube lifters . Still waiting on reply from cam manufacturers . Also is a Hughes engines stud girdle a useful addition or does that just hold broken caps in place???

7. 70wayfarer

sounds cool. don't forget photos. got new ali caps for my 360/410 stroker and made my own girdle. got the arp studs from summit. running 3.5 rear gears and 28" tires. 3800 ptc converter. does 2800 rpm at 60 mph. running single s475 turbo.

8. T6Rocket

10.5:1 is a lot of compression for a turbo motor. You will be 100% committed to E-85, ie: never a drop of 93 octane. All depends on how much boost you will be running though.

Also, I have not heard many good things about a rear mounted turbo. Great in theory, but not in practice. Turbo up front will still quiet the exhaust.

Al

9. Mnlx

He posted that he is running e85. Also some 93, and some water/meth injection will work nicely with 10.5:1, and an efficient aluminum head, he also hasn't even talked about cam selection yet. Front mounts are my preference as well, but check out Denmah's 2010 Silverado Here (or on sloppy mechanics), and see how well a simple remote mount can work.

10. T6Rocket

With 10.5 compression, it sounds like an N/A build with a turbo thrown in at the last minute. It will be boost limited and the tune will have to be spot on.

9:1 - 9.5:1 would be safer, then you can let the turbo do work for you instead of only running 3-5 psi. You will always make more power with lower compression and higher boost, than the other way around.

Al

11. Mnlx

It may have been a n/a build.... or very possibly an e85 build from the start (posted in the op's first post). I understand boost and compression ratios, but e85 is a totally different animal. There are many builds running 10:1 or better on e85 on purpose. Its funny how 15 years ago everything force inducted had to be 8:1, (at least according to the internet) and then someone realized that 9-9.5 worked well with modern heads, turbos, and cams, so the 9-9.5 has become the old 8:1...lol

12. ss496

I think the low compression ratios of yore was due to roots blower experience and lack of computer control over timing (ala msd 6530, etc)......I still like low compression ratios due to giving a wider tuning widow and generally easier on parts...as well as being able to run more boost...but thats my opinion due to my priorities.

Having said that I personally have experience with a 10:1 iron headed E85 SBC and it has has ZERO issues on E85 non intercooled up to 12 lbs....only reason for not running more is because the turbo is out of steam.

I also had a 9.4:1 iron headed SBC E85 non intercooled and ran it up to 23 lbs without issue....only reason for not running more was due to valve float.

13. Mnlx

The higher comp ratios seem to better suited to the small cid engines that lack off boost, and I agree the 9-9.5:1 is a very good all around ratio. I just wanted to point out that a 9:1 comp ratio is not set in stone, and that specific ratio isn't always the best ratio regardless of fuel.

14. furryfrog

I have a 440 source girdle on my turbo 440, though I do not know the answer to your question, I decided it would not hurt and my machine shop recomended it and a bunch of mopar guys as well. I did read on this board a guy with a 440 in a challenger was popping freeze plugs out at just over 800hp rwhp, then put in a girdle and that no longer happened. I like on the big block mopars how the girlde ties into the block pan rail as well, so I can see how it would strenghten the block as well as preventing cap walk.

rrgirdle.jpg #ad

rrgirdle.jpg #ad