1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Whats gonna be cheaper, FASt based EFI or Carb setup ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jonathan, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jonathan

I realise that you can basically do the same with either setup,

Since I don't know how to use a fast setup and I don't know how to set up a carb either,

Which setup would you choose for a turbo setup ?

Probably looking at a t88 sized turbo hoping for high 8's on a 302 infront of a powerglide...

What intake manifolds are available to make high 8 second power ? I read that vic jr's etc are a no-no

Also, my fuel system right now consists of dual a1000 pumps, dual -8 lines and a -6 return and an a1000 EFI regulator.

Ar these fuel pumps up to the task ? they can be used for carb or EFI setups. What about the rturn style regulator... am I going to have to swap for something that can be dialed lower ?

2. jonathan

P.S. The car will see limited street duty, basically driving to and from the track, and occasional cruises.
    Definatly not a daily driver or even a weekend warrior.

3. NDSP

I would say carb is cheaper, if you are starting from scratch. If you have some EFI stuff already, then just sit down and crunch the numbers. If you have the funds to do EFI I would do that. For me at least it would be easier to look at data logs and make tuning choices off those, instead of looking at spark plugs and making choices.

4. WaterPog

I'm of the oppinion that if you want to have "comparable equipment" the efi and carb will pretty much balance out. It really seems to come down to what you're more comfortable with, mechanical tuning or computer tuning.

For me the computer is much more comfortable than a carb, plus it just feels a lot less "hit and miss" when you have hard data from the computer to base your changes on.

5. Lordviper13

carb is probally going to be cheaper but I would argue that for a serious forced induction motor the EFI with be better, blow thru carb setups can be a real pain in the butt to tune especially on a high boost seup.

guessing it will be pretty high to go 8's so why cheap out on the fuel system

6. Traction Issuez

I like the FAST/EFI setup because you will be able to see what happened every tenth/second in a run and adjust the program accordingly
    issuez

7. CHIP D.