1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cartech, Hellion, Pro turbo.. Differences?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by soccerpimp09, Oct 4, 2006.

1. soccerpimp09

So I'm finally (after much thought and calculation) going to buy my turbo kit... I dont have the time or knowledge to try a DIY kit, or put one together... I dont want to cut anything, and I need to retain a/c... I would also like some decent instructions/directions to come with the kit (i want a complete kit)... I know some dont come with MAF or injectors... Thats fine i can do that much... But is there really a difference in Hellion, cartech, & pro turbokits?? what about turbo time kits? anyone know anything about them? I dont want to spend money I dont have to, the cartech seems cheapest after adding it all up... but is there a reason? Any/all advice is welcome... Thanks....

2. Snipe656

Cartech SS kit is going to be the poorest design of them all. It seems to have the biggest problems with things staying sealed and heat issues, it does typically work ok in mild combos. PTK/PTS is not a bad kit in design for most peoples needs but they have had a bad track record in meeting shipping times and general customer service issues, so basically read up on them and decide if you would do business with a company like that. Hellion may not have the perfect design for maxing out something like a T76 but they do have the perfect design for a street car wanting a turbo kit. Turbo Time is a company where I have never seen someone who actually owns one of the kits. I know the owner of the company pretty well(he used to help out on here a ton years back) and know a decent amount about the kits. If I had the money that probably would be the route I would go personally because I like the stealth approach the kits use and is something I have always wanted in a turbo kit on my car.

3. soccerpimp09

well the turbo time kit comes in mild, and stainless steel - i aim for a max HP in 500 range... to the wheels... but more likely around 350-400 - do i need the upgrade to the higher steel? because if so... it makes the kit (after injectors and MAF) end up costing more than even the hellion... lemme know... because I like the stealth kit as well..

4. 427notch

Im not sure if this is a big thing for you but I know that Hellion uses a log style headder on the passanger side, where as other companies offer full tubular headders, my preferance would be to use the tubular headders, however the hellion kit lets you retain all the front accessories. I would say that the hellion is perfect for a street car.

5. Snipe656

Turbo Time comes out more because he is using mil spec 321 stainless so a much more expensive material. The Hellion headers I believe are still just mild steel. I am not a big fan of mild steel kits and see no reason to spark up a debate on them. You probably would be fine with mild steel on any of those selections except the Cartech, there is no way I would do a mild steel Cartech SS kit on a fox body. If I had a power goal like yours, I'd just be doing an SC.

6. 89coupe

You should snatch up the Incon 800TT kit thats for sale on the site here. Great price and its brand new!

Probably the best designed kit ever!

7. soccerpimp09

well the TT would probably be overkill for me... As for the S/C - ALOT of people have supercharged mustangs.. I kinda wanted something a little different, i actually have less knowledge on s/c's than turbos (ive worked with some imports w/ turbos) and have no idea what it would take to get 400rwhp out a s/c - not to mention once I can afford to build a different engine the turbo kit would get beefed up to do 700 or so... plus turbo's are just cool... I have the money... Why not? if the mild turbo time kit would do me alright, i'll prolly go with that an see how it turns out.... any other opinions/ideas welcome though - its alot of money so i will take my time...

8. 89coupe

The guy is only asking $2500.00 for a brand new kit, thats half the price of any of those kits you posted and its a much better kit.

9. soccerpimp09

I dunno how i feel about making my first turbo purchased from some private party... I dunno, i will look into it though - I am curious as to Snipes opinions on the mid steel kit.. because i was hoping with my power goals the turbo time kit would be fine... but if there is a big risk involved i would like to know... thanks..

10. 89coupe

There is nothing wrong with mild steel, my kit is mild steel and hasn't given me any problems for 4 years now. That guy selling the TTkit apparently has sold many products online, you may want enquire about the kit. I was wrong about the price, he is only asking $2400.00 :eek:

11. soccerpimp09

do you know if u must cut/eliminate anything for the TT kit? same for the turbo time kit?

12. TurboGA

I have seen all 3 kits in person and they were installed in 5.0 stangs. These were all the street kits. The Cartech is a good system, but kind of old school. It still makes good power but there is better technology out there. The Hellion is very nice and makes great power. I heard turn around time is pretty good when you order this kit from them. I honestly have not seen a kit that could match the potential of a PTK. The street kits have gone up to a mid 8's in the quarter mile. No boost leaks, nice quality work. I know everyone has an opinion on what kit is better, I'm only speaking out on what I have seen in person and not just on what I have read or heard. The only issue with the PTK that you will have to wait at least three months to get it. I know some people can't wait that long but if you are serious about have a fast car with the potential of making it faster I feel PTK is the system to buy. :chacha:

13. soccerpimp09

I liked the pro turbo kit however when you compare the prices.. well the turbo time kit comes out much, much cheaper... I'm pretty sure all of the kits will make ~400rwhp.. I mostly want a good kit, that requires no cutting, and I can complete on a 5000 dollar budget.. the PTK kit is 4900... w/out shipping and i doesnt say if it includes a 255 fuel pump?... The turbo time kit is less complete but after figuring all the money out comes to be about 500 less... Does the PTK kit come highly recommended by anyone else? same goes for if anyone actually has a turbo time kit, love to hear some feedback? I'm really down to the PTK, hellion, and Turbo time... so any more recomendations/feedback will really help my decision! thanks

14. Jay Meagher

The Incon kit is by a great deal and as long as it's an Incon kit and not a DDMI (smaller turbos and cooler/with different ducting.) I would go through the in depth install any day over a single. As far as single kits go the Hellion is a great kit that will give you great service for miles and miles. I would feel more better about buying a Hellion kit than the other singles because I know they are a stocking warehouse and have the backing to stick around for a while.

15. matt95

The incon kits make great power, they are difficult to install and work on. If you ever need replacement parts, they could be difficult to find, turbos are very expensive to replace and rumored to crack the housings when pushed to the limits. Supposedly one of/if not the best engineered kits ever.

Turbotime - seems very strange, after years of being in business nobody on this board has one that I can find.

Hellion - order a kit, it ships out, within a week you have it. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you've had your $ tied up from another vendor for months and months.

PTK - definitely issues in the past, seems like they have their stuff together these days.

Did you search these manufacturers (sans Incon) on the feedback forum?

16. soccerpimp09

Well hellion was my first choice in the beginning because alot of people had good experience with them, and it is really odd that no one actually HAS a turbo time kit... why :huh:? i dunno... its kinda fishy... - I wish some one would ring in that has one, b/c their kit is the most affordible one... I guess if i cant get any feedback on the turbo time, ill have to choose between the PTK and hellion... oye... so hard to choose..

17. Eric88T

Not everyone that buys a turbo kit hangs out on internet forums all day.

18. 89coupe

So why aren't you interested in that Incon 800TT kit? Its by far the best kit and the price, holy!

19. soccerpimp09

i already messeged the guy selling the incon kit... so we will see

20. soccerpimp09

dont mean to double post but, given that incon is out of business, would that make replacement parts difficult to find? or is it just that the turbo's are expensive? because if i could find a new/barely used on - it could save some serious money...