1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Whats better locked timing or progressive

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by f250saleen, Mar 20, 2015.

1. f250saleen

Im running a 351w csu carb novi 2k. My question is right now i have the timing locked at 31* but its hard to start. The truck runs ok with locked timing but feels kind of lasy rpm's. Or is it better start at 10* initial and go up my last 351w i had it like this and it screamed just wanted your guys opinions thanks lmk.

2. 20psiofevil

I ramp my timing up and down depending on engine load. This allows you to squeeze the most power out of the combo.

3. flyinhillbilly

My opinion is that a boost timing master is an amazing piece of equipment.

4. f250saleen

I have a btm question is it better the timing from low to high or high to low timing.

5. flyinhillbilly

Normal timing curve pulled back for boost seems best to me.

6. BlownShovel

I ran a timing computer that had a nice 20* start retard and ramped in timing. It appears to be toast so i will be headed back to advance mech and BTMing to reduce when I want.

7. Rickracer

No way in hell I'd do a BTM now that the 6530 box is available, it will do just about anything you need to do, for any kind of power adder. :cool:

8. BlownShovel

send me a 6530 for free?

;-) That's what I have and that is what is going have to work for now - Much better options out there but $$$. I need tires before ignition box or at least I hope that's how it goes

9. Rickracer

Nothing personal, I guess I just look at things differently, but I planned the ignition system out even before I knew for sure what turbos I was going to run. It needed PLENTY of firepower, and the ability to set the curve based on boost & RPMS and the 6530 does both and then some. Tires would come after.... I guess if I already had something that worked, (BTM), it might be different. I had a 6AL and a Blaster II, and I knew that wasn't gonna cut it, no boost retard/programmability, and not enough firepower for E85.

10. 502efi

I had my initial set for 36* and used the 6AL-2 programmable start retard option. I believe its 15* at startup so 21* on start with no issue. Used the map sensor to pull 1* timing per lb starting at 4lbs.

11. Rickracer

Pretty much my exact timing curve, although I've added some detail up top to limit the boost, and pull way more timing once it's past the RPM range I want to maintain.

12. BlownShovel

No offense taken. Still running the same ignition from 20 yrs ago. No doubt there are better options but for now that's the horse that brought me here. Not great but functional. Gutted GM HEI, 6AL/Blaster, dead?8981 and BTM. Basically the ignition I had for NA (allowing 20* start retard) and steep timing curve and added BTM but really have never used it to back off timing at the track.

13. nj636

I would have to agree here. This is where you're going to make your power.