1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What would you recommend? (4V T76)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by GOTZ, Apr 15, 2009.

1. GOTZ

Car just got back from the shop/tuner, made 515 & 540 @ 12 psi in Phx, AZ. Now the car is in SoCal; feels like it makes a bit more with the better air and being close to the ocean. Car has a Precision T76 Q trim w/ a .96 A/R, '04 block and heads using factory log manifolds, & T56 w/ 3.55's. The car is setup for road race, full MM SLA setup and it is my daily driver and will never see anything other then pump gas 91. I get full boost at 3700, but it comes on super hard which sucks when you are midway through a corner.

Recommendations from you guys would be great, should I go down on the A/R to an .84? Should I go down to a smaller turbo? (friend here is pretty hooked up w/ Garrett and wants me to go to a GT37R, haven't done the math to see if that would be logical) OR am I just getting used to a turbo setup coming from the eaton world and need to learn how to drive the car all over again and just leave the thing alone? :doh: Feedback would be great, would like something with more mid range and smoother on the power delivery.

Let me know if you need anymore info...

2. livefast1

if you go down in a/r its probably in all reality gonna break loose sooner and be more uncontrollable. i don't believe you have many options stepping up in a/r with that turbo but that would deter the torque kick your getting, do they make a 1.08 housing for your turbo?

3. GOTZ

I believe they do make a 1.08, would more gear help?

4. livefast1

it would but i believe the car would be a lot lazier out of the corners. it would probably be easier to go up in a/r and keep your motor in the power band then mess with the cars gearing.

5. svooh

Being that it is only 281cid, I would consider something smaller. A little less compressor wheel will come on a little sooner and spread out the power band. Corner bursts should be more controllable and less like a "light switch."
    I'm thinking P-trim 67mm...maybe even in a .68 A/R turbine housing for awesome street response. And that turbo has no problem making 500rwhp.

6. GOTZ

Even a MP T70 would work then if I ever want to get more out of the tune right? I could sell the precision for the cost of a brand new MP....

7. Turbo Terror

Just out of curiosity what shop in Phx tuned your car

8. BOSS 32V

You can control how hard you want the boost to hit with an electronic boost controller...

9. GOTZ

Rob the previous owner from SVC did the tuning and the turbo kit. New shop is called FIT (Forced Induction Tuning) Fabrication.

Would love to get the eboost controller but I don't want a band aid, think I just need the right sized turbo, gonna try going down in A/R first, and if that doesn't cure it I will get a different turbo.