1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lost oil pressure tonight...DOOOOHHHH

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Catfish, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Catfish

Got the car done todat, just in time for date night with the wife. You know, take her out and impress her with the hot rod. Why oh why did I not invest in a decent oil pressure gauge. I heard a funny sound, then realized the stock oil pressure gauge showed nothing.

Possible causes? Lost the pick up off the oil pump. Broke the shaft from the distributor to the pump. Debris blockinh the feed to the turbo and the sending unit.

So, how bad is a re-build on a turbo? Can you source the bearings and DIY? I didn't rev the motor up, so I don't think I damaged it too terribly bad. Oh well, this turned into an expensive night.

2. WaterPog

how long was it driven w/o oil pressure?

I'd be worried about the engine, not just the turbo.

3. Catfish

I can't be sure, I shut it down when I noticed the situation. It didn't make any funny noises, so I think it should be okay. Fortunately, I had been taking it easy on the car. At first, I thought I has burnt through the sending unit wire, because there was no unusual noise. The car didn't dump the oil, so that is where I came up with the potential problems. Well, today I will dig into it and see how much damage there is.

4. WaterPog

So which is it? ;)

5. Catfish

The "it" was the motor. I did hear the turbo squall (well, that's what it sounded like) once.:p That's what made me look. The funniest part is that I told my in-laws to be looking out for the AAA tow truck. The car had run well up till this point. Didn't really think it would be towed home.

So what should I expect a rebuild to cost for the T-64?