1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What trucks came with a Holset HX35 or HX40???

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Mesarina, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Mesarina

i just ordered the following things, they are going on a stock 302, wanting like 400whp or more at 10psi or something near that..

walboro 255lph
    ford racing 42lb-hr injectors
    Pro-m/Pmas Pro tube 3"
    Tial 44mm wastegate .4 bar spring (im going to tune it with the .4bar to see what happens, and then use a boost controller)}
    Tial 50mm 11psi BOV..

and i already have an Innovate wideband and aeromotive fuel pressurre regulator..

i have read a lot now.. thanks search police :D . and now i am leaning towards a hx35, then do a hx35/40 hybrid later, i just know that the hx35 came in the 5.9 cummins engine, but don't know what years or trucks, freightliner??

Thanks.. getting close to it :chacha:

2. Racer99

Dodge pickups,2500 and 3500, will be the easiest to find.

3. Mesarina

thanks... the hx35 would be enough right??

4. schoust

I'm wondering about the hx 35 myself,what are it's limitations in Cubic inches? Will two of them work on a big inch motor(462)? Sorry don't mean to steal your thread....

5. 86lxnotch

i think a 40 might be enough but im pretty sure the 2.3L svo guys upgrade to a 35.....dont quote me on that though

6. Explorer5.0

For the HX35, look for one from a 12 valve Dodge Cummins- 95-98.5 are the best years because of the 56mm inducer. Mine is from a 96 I believe, and is the 56mm version. The newer trucks and some older automatic equipped trucks have the HY35, which has the undivided turbine entry. Stay away from these becase they cant be upgraded to the 60mm wheel when you get ready.

The HX40 came on the 8.3 Cummins.

7. Explorer5.0

Right, but lots of those applications are European; I over simplified the fact that the most common North American application is the 8.3 Cummins.

The HX40 can vary alot (like you said) with compressor inducers ranging from 58mm to about 62mm, and exhaust housings from a 12cm with a T3 flange to a 22cm T4 housing. Then you have all of those Volvo water cooled turbines out there too.

So your best bet when looking for a Holset is to get the compressor inducer size and note the size of the turbine housing.