1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What to set base timming at?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by forbanger, May 27, 2008.

1. forbanger

Quick question. I have a chip I am running that is set to 15deg timming on WOT. Is it best to set base timming at 10deg.
    I am kind of new to this and right now the car is idling funny with the base timming is set at 6deg.

Thanks!

2. The Notch

Yes, set base at 10 spout connector out!

3. forbanger

Thanks for the reply!

You mean take it out then set it then put it back in, right?

4. Millhouse

If tune you speak of was done with a base timing of 6*, you will change your entire tune by adding to it. If you change your timing to 10* advanced you will effectively add 4* total timing across the whole tune'¦which means that 15* timing at WOT goes to 19*.

5. forbanger

I am lost. Car has 2 pointers on it. Do I use the lower pointer with the eye hole or the top one that has an edge?
    The reason I want to mess with the base timming is because it got adjusted and now the car doesn't idle right. It jumps between 500 and 1000rpm.
    I have it set to 10 deg at the lower pointer with the round eye hole and it sits perfectly at 1000rpm. I think it is sitting too high. should it be at around 850rpm's?

6. Millhouse

Use the flat edge, not the eye hole. After your done, unplug the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer.

7. forbanger

Thnaks Millhouse! I will try that and update on how it turns out.

8. forbanger

Well that didn't work. At 10deg base the car feels like it is struglling to stay alive.
    Fuel pres at idle is at 40-41psi is that too much?
    Would bad plugs make it idle erraticly (sorry for the spelling)?
    One more thing car is running in an "open loop". I am under the impression that adjustments to the base timming doesn't really affect anything besides the idle of the car. right?

9. The Notch

The base timing will effect the idle but that should not be a concern, you should still set you base at 10btdc with the spout out, then watch it when you plug the spout back in and make sure it jumps up to around 30 something, check your tps voltage and make sure it is in the .90-.95 range. When you say it is idling erraticaly do you mean it is surging up and down. if so i can tell you how to correctly set your throttle blades and tps along with resetting your computer so it will learn its new idle. also if its excessivley rich and in open loop that will give you some trouble also, do you have a wide band afr guage

10. forbanger

Alright I will try that. And yes it does surge it bounces between 500 to 1000rpm. It never use to do this until I had a baseline dyno run. The person didn't tune the car just made some"fine" adjustments. He backed base timing off by 4 degrees and adjusted fuel pres to where it is now between 40-42psi.

I do have a wideband in the car. I will see what it is tom when I adjust timming aggggggggain.

11. Millhouse

Actually'¦the acceptable range for the TPMS sensor is .6 - 1.2. The computer takes the reading at initial startup and uses that as base. If the sensor is already within that range, adjusting it to .90-.95 wont do anything. If it reads outside of the .6 - 1.2 range'¦.you have a faulty sensor which should be replaced regardless.

Forbanger,
    What is your combo?

What is your idle AFR?

Is your fuel pressure set with the vacuum line on or off?

What are your WOT AFR's?

Check your plugs and let us know what they look like.

Again, any adjustments to the base timing will affect the entire table. The computer has tables which it adds to the base timing. If your current tune at 6* initial has your WOT timing set at 15*, it will become 19* when you set your base to 10*.

12. forbanger

Combo is:
    -331 r block w/ 8.5:1 je pistons
    -205 tfs heads TEA ported
    -MP t70
    -vortech renegade fuel system w/kb boost a pump
    -83lb in
    -lmaf w/ xtender
    -a9l ecu w/ autologic tune

Well, I set the base timing at 10deg w/ spout out. Reconnected the spout and yest it did advance timing by a little bit (maybe 20-25) at idle. It still idles like crap bouncing from 500-1000rpms same with the a/f meter. A/F goes up and down from 14-18 as the rpm goes up and down.

I guess I will see on replacing the throttle position sensor.

This sucks! It ran right before I took it for a baseline run. I wish there was a tunner knowledgable close to me because I am lost.

13. forbanger

Well, I kind of came up with an idea and it worked (band aid). I adjusted the idle set srew, less that a quarter turn, and now it idles at around 900-980. I let it run idling for a while and it actually runs fine. I also took it for a 20 min ride and it runs fine. no stumbles or anything (it never did anyway). :chacha: :chacha:

I hope this is good for now until I can find some in my area to tune the car.

Thanks Millhouse and everyone!

14. The Notch

Cool glad you got it fixed!

15. forbanger

Thanks Notch! Not really a fix, I think. But it is back to running normal.
    Like I had said, I am dying to get a tune just for peace of mind. Anyone know a good.....great tunner in Wisconsin (close to Appleton area)?

Thanks Again!

16. The Notch

Man just check your tps voltage, if it is within the limits like millhouse stated then their is nothing wrong with what you did, some people will just turn the idle screw and others will drill a hole in the throttle blades to bypass more air which obviousley your motor needs!

17. forbanger

Hey Notch,
    Just figured out some bugs on how to get the SNEEC data logger to work on my lap top. The tps votage is at .95-.96 at idle. It has ben Idling good so far.
    Note: I m running standard 93 octane and I swear to God that made it run perfectly.
    Since I had been messing with the Idle screw what should I put the rpm's back at idle. Right now it is idling in the 900's.
    That SNEEC unit is awesome! I never even knew it was in the car when I bought it. I went through 3 different usb/serial adapter before I bought the one that would work but man is that thing slick :D

Thanks for all the info guys! I am sure I have a ton more.

18. The Notch

If you like where it is idling now i would leave it alone, those older computers can be a little touchy sometimes with a healthy cam :2thumbs: you want to sell that sneec datalogger ill pay good money!

19. forbanger

I have read many threads where people are looking for this thing since there has been a halt in production. I honestly think it is a great tool for tuners (which I am far from). I kinda don't want to monkey with the wiring though. I haven't figured out how it is wired in there.

Where are you at anyway?

20. The Notch

Im in pensacola fl, and the data logger just unplugs from the main harness in line with the computer, it is a pass thru data logger.