1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What turbo chargers can you get me into the high eights

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bill jr, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Bill jr

Hello I have a 5.7LS with a built bottom end 243 heads 1300 cc injectors and I would like to run in the 8.50 in the quarter mile. The car is a manual transmission weighting 3400 pounds.camshaft is a bar stage 2 .

2. bbi_turbos

Lots of variables contribute to IF you can hit 8 sec, but online calculators say 1100hp at the crank is the hp needed to get there.
    To get that out of a 5.7 spinning at 6,000rpms will require 30psi of boost.
    If you want to go cheap, s480sx-e.
    If you want to go the best, 80mm gtx5020.

Bill jr likes this.
  3. Bill jr

Thanks I just need a little guidance here. I bought one turbo charger already and it was way too big don’t want to keep buying turbo chargers after turbo chargers they have the same mistake and money and time wasted. Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it.

4. tbird

what turbo do you have?

5. Bill jr

Vsr 88mm billet 96/88 t4. Compressor 88/124 turbine 96/88 1;25 ar. The car made 908 hp at 6500 using E 85 and only 18.2 pounds of boost. It is a manual transmission car when you’re on the street it doesn’t start making power until 5500 RPMs.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  6. 64nailhead

That turbo is not too large at all IMO. And it's best to not make much power below 5500.

7. bbi_turbos

It's definitely on the large side, peak power is at peak efficiency. While that is great for making really efficient power, it generally means spool suffers.

At the same time the guy needs to decide what he wants, a well mannered street machine, or a 8 sec car. The more you try to make it streetable the more it takes away from the top end.

If you want to do both really well you'll have to go compounds.

64nailhead likes this.
  8. Mnlx

Other than to run 8's, what are your goals? It doesn't sound like the greatest combo ever. You need more cam/rpm, or a turbo that's better suited to the manual trans. Also, the tune could be partly to blame. I haven't heard the greatest things about the VSR 88mm, I know someone who picked up 40 hp with a switch to BW/Forced inductions unit over the VSR. Call Jose at Forced inductions, he'll point you in the right direction.

Bill jr likes this.
  9. Bill jr

I will give him a call Monday. Thank you