1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What to expect with Explorer cam?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Abqrb2020, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Abqrb2020

Hey guys, give me your thoughts on what this combo will be like on the street with the Explorer cam and boost. I'm having a hard time thinking about a $500 upgrade for cam and springs when I paid $600 bucks for the motor lol...

(F4TE-6250-BA)
    256 / 266
    186 / 197
    0.422 / 0.448
    116 LSA

I don't have another cam lying around and I know the limits of these blocks with boost so I'm hesitant to buy a another cam and do the spring upgrade on a stock block.

This is just a weekend driver for fun nothing too serious.

1990 Mustang
    2000 Explorer block all new gaskets
    Explorer cam
    Fresh GT40p heads
    Holley Systemax II intake
    70mm Throttle Body
    70mm On 3 turbo
    60 lb injectors
    Moates Quarter Horse
    3:55 gears
    TKO 600

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  2. 91turboterror

IMO run what you have. It’ll be fine . The power you lose from not doing a cam upgrade can be made up with a few extra psi of boost.

B E N, Abqrb2020 and SpartanSV like this.
  3. B E N

I agree with above, for 500ish hp the stock cam is fine. Cams have gone up so much in price it's silly, lots of other places on a car that could use $500.

Abqrb2020 likes this.
  4. Abqrb2020

I was a little worried because the Explorer cam is smaller than the Mustang cam but sounds like boost can make up for the shortcomings.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  5. ummduh

I put a sn95 gt cam in mine. Bought used from eBay for $65.

I wouldnt put the explorer spec springs back in though, definitely upgrade those, imo

6. Pro-SC

1.7 rockers will bring the explorer cam into the HO cam specs, pretty close anyways.

7. ummduh

Just for argument's sake, a set of rockers would be significantly more expensive than just buying a used cam?

I decided to just put the cam in as my short block was a 200k block and I was putting a timing chain in it anyways, it wasn't much more work (considering I was swapping springs as well).

So here's a question. Will boost allow you to push past the cams normal breathing range? Won't it roll off at the same point with or without boost?

8. tbird

Boost might carry it a bit past n/a peak. But yes, the cam will dominate where the peak hp rpm is.

9. Mnlx

I wouldn't expect a lot, but boost will typically extend the hp curve some.