1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What starter do i use with a 351w and T-5 ?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Turbo_Charged_95, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Turbo_Charged_95

I'm using the v6 Mustang 164tooth bell housing and transmission and tried to use the Mustang starter but it just gets stuck on the flywheel .
    My question for those that have swapped the 1995 v6 engine to a 351w is what starter did you use? I'm thinking i will need to use the f250 starter that was on the engine .

Strange how the starter worked before i installed the transmission although i had to add a small shim on the bottom starter bolt for it to turn over with zero issue . Yes the index plate is installed .
    Only thing holding me back right now is the starter and radiator and it will run . I've already re-pinned the ECU and got the necessary wiring completed for the EFI swap .

2. Russell

Did the manual f250 come with a 164 starter? If so I would try that one.

I don't remember what stater the used but 50tussin put one in mcnugget. Don't remember which part he said what starter. Here is a link to one of his videos:

3. mld54

I don't think your problem is the starter. I bet it's something with the bell housing or flywheel/flex plate.

4. FlatOut

So my setup isn't really the same. but my 351w to tk0 uses a 157t flywheel and a stock f150 lightning starter.