1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin turbos and single wastegates??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Proaction14, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Proaction14

Im putting new TC78 twins on my car. Combo is a 383 SBC, car will be just a track car and running anywhere from 18-30 lbs. Will a single Turbonetics Racegate work? Whats the advantage over running 1 wastegate for each turbo rather than using 1 for both? Thanks for any info and input.

2. LowBoostinT76

No it won't work. A twin car needs two wastegates unless you run a crossover pipe which would be stupid and pointless on a twin car and still it most likely wouldn't work well either.
    Some single turbo cars run two wastegates.
    If you run twins you need two wastegates, end of story.

3. Proaction14

And the reason is because it wouldnt be able to bleed off enough pressure fast enough to maintain efficient PSI/boost management?

4. turbofreek

no the reason is because you would have a massive amount of turbo speed and nowhere to bleed it but in the engine. also lots of back pressure on one side of the engine causing a major tuning and balance issue for the engine. think large load on one side and not on the other side. shit breaks at that point.

5. Proaction14

Gotcha, thnx for the info

6. LowBoostinT76

To be more clear on my previous post, you have two banks on a v style engine, when running a single turbo these must connect pre turbo to utilize all the exhaust energy. The wastegate goes on the exhaust pre turbine to bypass exhaust energy (bypassing the turbocharger) to control turbo rpm, which controls boost pressure.
    Now if we run two turbos on a v8, 4 cylinders from each side of the engine feed each turbo. There is no need or benefit in connecting the two banks of exhaust on a twin turbo setup, whether it be preturbo or post.
    Now since each bank of 4 cylinders powers one turbo a wastegate will be needed to bypass exhaust pressure from each turbo to control the rpm of each turbo.
    Now since you cold or charge side will connect somewhere like say the intercooler, as mine does, you will only need one bov.

7. htrdlincoln98

Hi everyone I'm new here and very thankful for what I've learned already.
    With a twin turbo rear mount setup I don't see why a single wastegate cann't be used. If a single exhaust pipe is run to the rear and splits to feed both turbos then a single WG should work? If sized properly?

I am very new to the turbo thing. This is how I have my set up planned. Is this still a NO GO?

8. LowBoostinT76

If the banks connect and merge into a single pipe before the turbos then yes it can be ran with one wastegate, but be careful where the wastegate is placed, I would put it so it can bypass exhaust from both banks, so on the single pipe and not just off one header ya know.
    I've never seen someone merge then split again for twins but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm assuming your doing it that way because you want to use most of the stock or stock style single exhaust system and just fab the split for the turbos? Why not just a single turbo if that's the case? Just wondering, I like twins and don't want to deter you, its nice being different.

9. htrdlincoln98

Thats good to hear. I am running a single pipe back where the x pipe is now. At first I will only be running a sigle HX35 with plans to go twin once the bugs and learning curve are worked out. At that time I plan on splitting after the rear end off to the turbos. I was hoping the 60 MM WG would be enough to vent for low boost levels with such a small single turbo and not choke the engine up high.

10. LowBoostinT76

I'm sure you'll be fine, the 60mm is a big wastegate