1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

321 Stainless questions....

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by zona70, Dec 31, 2009.

1. zona70

I am ramping up my project again (after a couple of years) and will be fabricating hot-side stuff from scratch. I had planned to use mild steel as I can MIG that myself and materials are cheap(er). I ran in to a guy selling a large lot of 321 Stainless stuff on the cheap (this is leftover materials from his project) and based on what I see out there re 321 stainless prices and the volume of material he is selling I think that I could probably build the bulk of the headers out of the stuff he is selling for about the same materials cost as mild. So... A couple of questions.

1) The stuff he is selling is 2nd hand steel - aparantly he took a few sets of used NASCAR headers and cut them up to build his stuff. Does this present any issue?
    2) Does 321 weld significantly differently than 304? I know that I am going to have to clean the heck out of the mating surfaces - but can this stuff just be TIG'd together or am I going to have to seal and back-fill the tubes with gas etc... I have a friend that is a very skilled fabricator/TIG guy - I know he works mostly in mild and sometimes 304 stainless - not sure how much time he has welding 321 and if it is radically different I'd want to know.

So - basically - everything that I read seems to indicate that 321 is good stuff - but I am not sure if it makes sense to take on the hassle of using this stuff - even if the price is right. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

PS - I didn't see a better forum for a header question - if I missed something please move the thread or let me know and I'll delete and re-post.

2. zona70

Bump - anyone?