1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question on 351 stock internals and cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by lts36, Oct 23, 2006.

1. lts36

I am looking at building a 351 TT (stock T-3 turbos). Looking to make about 600 hp. The block and internals are mid 70's vintage. Will the stock crank and rods hold up to this kind of power?

Also, as far as the cam goes, I would like to use a hydraulic, whether it be flat tappet or roller. What do you guys suggest?

The car will be a street race/strip car.

2. turbotater84

The crank is good for that. By the time you spend your money checking out the rods and putting new bolts in them you could just buy some decent aftermarket ones. you can use a hydraulic roller in a non roller block with a retrofit kit. i just cant remember if those blocks use a smaller base circle cam some one chime in on this. this is directly from the ford motorsport website it says " 351w blocks that are rollercam compatable have the casting number ( F4TE ). If your block is not roller ready, conversion lifter part # M-6500-S58 will allow you to use a hydraulic roller cam in a non-roller 289/302/351w block" . I would think the stock t3s are on the small side and would not make your power goal and become a restriction. if your looking for a jy turbo maybe a set of gm-8s. :2thumbs:

3. quarterstang86

The pistons won't take it if your using the factory one's which are (cast).

I've seen the stock windsor crank and rods go high 5's 1/8 mile, nitrous car on a load.

4. turbotater84

i just automticaly ASSumed he would be using an aftermarket forged piston. :-X