1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please look at this turbo and help indentify it

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Sinful, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Sinful

It's supposed to be a precision 76GTS but not sure.

First of all is that bolt supposed to look like that?

2. Turbohwagon

it looks like a precision, the compressor housing seems to be a nice casting, my friends PTSSC 60-1 looks kinda like that but abit smaller.

the ported shroud and the CnC ported outlet kinda make me think its a precision. as the precision ported outlets have kind of a odd finish, its not really completely smooth it has some small edges all the way around inside, and most of the P/Ts i've seen are like that. but i guess you never really know unless you find a P/N, they usually scribe it on the outside of the compressor outlet.

that bolt looking thing on the end of the turbin shaft is used for balancing i beleive, so they shave off material to get it balanced you can see the machined spot by the nut on the comp wheel too, same thing.

3. Sinful

ah okay so that should be normal on that bolt/nut then?

Yeah I realize it's hard to truely indentify a turbo without actually taking it apart and doing some measurements. What got me a bit more confused is that you would assume all precision 76GTS should look the same but they don't.

4. JZ 97 SS 1500

Yes looks like a 76GTS. The comp cover is an older cover before PTE started casting their own with the PTE name casted into the cover. Also the turbine wheel has been balanced by garrett, although its the dumbest way to balance a turbine its been balanced at least.

Jose

5. Sinful

i see

this is probably an older maybe 2-3 yrs old GTS?

6. JZ 97 SS 1500

That is correct.