1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What MSD is better? 6Al + .....

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mnm99, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mnm99

I have a carbed 350 chevy engine with a MSD 6al unit. I know I can add a MSD boost controller to it. I was thinking of just getting rid of the 6AL and getting the 6BTM. It would save me space, just wondering how good they are. I've read they had some problems in the past. Is the add on unit better than the combined unit?

2. ziptie007

intercooler or no intercooler? only use a btm with no intercooler. I like the digital 6 since it has the 2 step built in.

3. mnm99

I'm planning on a intercooler for now. I haven't planned that out yet though. Wouldn't pulling some timing be good either way? Even 1* per pound?

4. Matt Cramer

Although a non-intercooled installation may demand more timing retard per pound of boost, I'd still want some ability to retard the timing under boost on an intercooled car as well. You'll be able to get a better timing curve dialed in with a boost retard whether you have an intercooler or not. I haven't compared the two so I can't answer the original question, though having the two units in one box would make for fewer connections to go wrong with.

5. turbotater

msd is shipping thier new 6 series that uses a map
    sensor to do proportional timing retard i will have one
    in my hands in a few days

6. mnm99

What 6 series is it? Part #

7. mustangcobra438

the digital seven is a good one 7531 i think is the part# look at it on their website.