1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What is the best turbo kit out there for a 351W?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ttype, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ttype

This would go in a 89 Fox body. I am looking for the best fit. Nothing that has to be bastardized to make work, and a prick to change plugs. Right now the car is Supercharged and looking to go to the dark side with a T4 88mm turbo. I already have the turbo. Just need the supporting cast for it. So who make the best fit and finish for a set of headers, intercooler(with pipes and all fittings). Wastegate and blowoff I can source myself. Just looking for headers and intercooler. Looking to make over 900 to the wheels. Please post pics to show fit and finish. This is for a 408cubic inch Windsor with a 3 speed C4 transmission..

2. Mike93SVT

few things to address. for your main question: B&G Custom hands down. they are great and will build whatever you need.

things i see that may be an issue. that t4 based turbo is gonna choke that 408. there's not even volume to flow that much exhaust through it. a t6 setup is much more in your lane. when it comes to that kind of stuff. you're not gonna get an off the shelf kit. call brian at b&g and see what he says. i'm sure more people will agree though

3. ttype

Any pics of these kits on a 351W? T6 would be nice, but I am not that concerned with choking it down a bit cause this is a true street car. To run low 9's high 8's I will be fine with the T4 housing. My buddy has a 408 with the same turbo running 8.72@161mph.

4. Mike93SVT

i'm not saying choking the motor would not be bad for power. i'm saying it will hurt your motor. the back pressure will be too high. you could damage it. there was a thread on here of a guy with a 408 running a t76. the damn header split open where the wastegate was mounted due to backpressure :ahah:

5. ttype

Anyone else have pics and comments?

6. decipha

all depends on driving habbits especially with a street car, i have a friend that has a 93 5.0 mustang making 763rwhp. He's been having this setup since 98 and hasn't had any major problems to date besides eating the stock t5 trany back in 01. He's using the stock block and internals. 225k miles on the clock and the car still pulls strong.

7. Ackbar00

I have a hotside kit form Pony Down. I think it turned out great!

Granted, I am going to try a T4 MP T-70 on a 408 this spring..... ;)

8. twofast

my friend has a hp kit on his 408 with a pt88. what's nice about the hp kit, is that you can fit a large dp. he's using a 4". car runs great with the pt88- 8.73@158 in a 3550 lb vert.

9. Mike93SVT

my whole point on the back pressure was this.

what size exhaust would you run on an n/a motor that was a 408?

you would run it into a 3 inch merge and have a single 3inch pipe all the way out.

granted, it would work, but you're gonna lose a LOT of power and possibly hurt the motor

Ackbar00: he was a classic case when he tried using his 62mm on the 351 to begine with, you're even crazier to use the mpt70 on a 408!

10. ttype

Mike I understand and respect your view on back pressure but i am not concerned with it. This is not a all out race car and at 15 to 16psi on the street with pump gas I will not have a back pressure issue with a 4" exhaust. I don't want my thread to sway into another direction. I am interested in seeing and hearing the best fit type of kit thats easy to do plug changes and replace header gaskets easily if need be. I just don't want a kit that I have to remove a ton of parts just to change my plugs. I might be new to this board, but i am not new to turbos. I have built lots of DIY kits in my garage that made good power. I just don't want to fab something up if it already exists for a fraction of the cost.

11. Mike93SVT

right on, i didn't intend to come off on a rant. but like i said, b&g makes some good stuff. as well as pony down. those would be my 2 recommendations for sure. stay away form hp performance :cheers:

12. ttype

Thanks Mike, who is pony down? any links to a website? I guess I am getting lazy as I get older, and look to put down my :welder: in search of freeing up more of my time by being stuck in the garage for hours only to build a bracket or fab a pipe.

13. twofast

you shouldn't be using them to begin with. :ahah:

14. ttype

ummm, ok :doh: Any insight on the topic at hand?

15. chiaj144

Just use copper rvt.

16. Dawson Performance

Copper RVT is the only way to go!!! I haven't had any leaks now in 2 onths and before we were changing gaskets like 4-5 times a month.

Gaskets SUCK :bah: Copper RVT RULES!

17. lo fo do

Why would you say stay away from hp p.I know they are super slow but when you get your kit. You will see the diff.from kit to kit. They build a very nice kit.And you can get to the plugs easy and any kit that comes with a 3" dp pipe is a joke.B/g kit are for entery level people that dont want to make good hp.ptk there headers suck. they break all the time. hellion kits are fast to ship and are nice to look at but are a entryl level also .I have nothing to do with any turbo comp. But we have alot of turbo cars in my town and every one is diff.than mine.And everybody says they like my kit best. And i've gone way faster than any of them. 8.73@158 on m/tdrag radials in a 3500lb vert.Just my 2 cents.

18. Mike93SVT

just way too many horror stories of parts never being received and fitment issues. people wanting to bolt on a kit have to cut apart the engine bay to make it work. seen numerous people waiting 6+ months to get everything. i guess it wouldn't be too bad if you just got the hotside. but a company with horrible customer feedback is one i would shy away from. just my .02

19. 93svt331

70mm with a stock bore 351 would be ok

but WITH a 408 yikes your crazy!!

20. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

SOunds like someone is a hp nut swinger. Entry level? Come on dude these comments make you look down right ignorant. We are well known for our custom kits and hp, give me a break. Our base kit.........the base kit....not any of the custom kits.......... will do 650 rwhp and 700 plus torque to the ground on a stock 5.0 with a set of ported gt-40 heads(disclaimer: The motor wont last very long the one I am claiming numbers from only lasted a few weeks) with out ANY of the upgrades available. Our kit is 100 times cleaner from the welds to the layout, the fit is better, and the weld seams are fewer and lack of 1000 bends leads to one of the best flowing kits on the market. Just because the jet hot everything to hide their lackluster welds people like you look at it and go aww.....that is so pretty it must be fast. Like sticking chrome valve covers on a chevy.

Any time product for product you want to do back to back testing you hit me up. I can arrange it at akron hp so you wont even have to go far. Bring your hp kit car. Then we will lay down some numbers. Remove it and then install one of our compairable kits and lets see what happens.

Entry level.......... give me a fucking break.

Now on to the other fella let me grab some picts and post up for you.