1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what is required to run 10.0 or higher in a convertible at the track?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by actmobmar, Mar 28, 2014.

1. actmobmar

haven't been to the track in 6 years with my car, used to run 10.90's with my old blower engine. car is a '69 camaro convertible, turbo blow thru carb small block, 4l80 automatic,275/60 15 drag radials. weighs 3600 lbs. someone told me that they are basing some of the safety stuff (as far as the roll bar/cage) on the weight of the car, is this true? car currently has a 4 point bar, and they used to let me run without the forward bars, as they would come down where the door handles were in the car. i've heard that i now can use removeable swing out bars in place of permanently installed forward bars. i also ran the car with the top down and used arm restraints attached to the 5 point harness(i installed a new harness, old one out of date). car has the driveshaft safety loop, all good fuel line(no rubber). what else do i need before i go to the track again?

2. 91turboterror

C clip eliminators , sfi balancer, eight point cage, kill switch.

3. Drac0nic

It depends on how fast you want to run, I would buy the handbook. It's under $20, and a good investment. That out of the way though, it also depends on what you're running speed wise too. If you get down into the 8s the chassis certs are based on the weight of the car. The other thing is that it TOTALLY varies track to track, some of them will let you get away with far more stuff than others. Not saying it's safe, but saying you can get away with it. For instance Rt. 66 by my house is supposedly super tight about tech, while Byron is supposedly loose provided it's not an event. I'd figure out which track(s) you want to go to, then start asking people or hell even talk with their tech inspectors and see what they want to see. It could save you a ton of trouble and expense.

4. actmobmar

Okay so the weight deal pertains to 8 seconds. I'm looking to run 140 mph. Also I have the battery switch in the back that also kills the engine