1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What ign. to run? SBF w/F1R and Gen VII

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by NOVICOUPE, Jul 29, 2011.

1. NOVICOUPE

Ok. I have a 311ci. SBF w/ an F1R. Currently running a Crane Hi6.Running Gen VII DFI. Pretty new to it so not sure if it will really benefit from something like a 7531. Really think I need to have a better ign. Would like some input. I was thinking of a Dig 6 but have heard of lots of problems with them. Here is my plan. Please tell me what ya think.Gonna get a good 6al and the Power grid control box. All the same features as the 7531 but less money. I know the 6al will not have as much actual ign. power but will upgrade to the power grid ing. box also when funds are available. What do you guys think of my plan.Is it a waste of money as the Gen VII has more features than I realize? Please lmk what you guys think.

2. TurboNova

The real only reason to have a 7531 for you would be the ignition power output. You kinda left out the most important item. How much boost are you gong to run? The 7531 will be a much better choice for above 20psi. Below that the 6 will be fine. Really though the Gen 7 will have all the stuff you need other than ignition power and if you want the slew rate control.

Why not look at the digital 7 non programmable box that has the same power output for less money then use the Gen7 for all the limited ignition and timing retard functions. The coil and ignition box power output is more important than the other fluff stuff.

3. NOVICOUPE

Thats kinda why I was thinking of the power grid controller and a 6al for now. Planning on running over 20 lbs. SO what would you suggest 7al? 7530,7520?

4. TurboNova

Personally I would run the 7520 unless you want the slew rate control the 7531 has. The two step and igniton retard can be done in the Gen 7.
    Less stuff to have problems with if you don't have a 6AL and a Power Grid and a Gen 7... too many things.

5. mtpturbo

Well said, I agree on all points.