1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What IAT do you start pulling timing?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by danh9250, Dec 28, 2014.

1. danh9250

Is there any hard set rule of thumb of what intake temps you need to start pulling out timing? I tried the search but the problem is I get so many hits its impossible to find the same questions. What about timing when it gets below freezing, what kind of adjustments do I need for that?

2. 20psiofevil

What is the combo? What tuning software or hardware? What fuel? For me 150* is my limit. I pull 5* over 150, and 1* for every 10 over 150. pump gas.

3. Mike86Stang

In my tune timing is pulled based on load not iat. Maybe once my iats start getting higher ill look at it more but for the most part it has been a non issue.

4. Gerald m.

I use a lot of old school stuff But my Aus. chum sent me a dist. that advances the same as any but will also retard about 5deg. max when under different boost pressures (( it has two different plates with small balls so the one plate turns when it advances under vacuum but when boost pressures build will pull the second plate back and retard the timing up to 5 deg. max rom where ever the timing is set to .pretty cool for old stuff )), it just works off the same vac. hose . 104 Octane Propane powered ,twin rotor Wankel engine motorcycle , turbo charged with H2o injection activates @ 3-4 lbs boost , 27 HG of vacuum @ 1200+ rpm. and producing 325 HP. when tuned proper . ... My dist. advance I have blocked at around 50+ % of normal advance travel so it can't go past there and leaving a little more aggressive advance than just having the advance simply locking solid in any preset position like lots of guys do . Many ways of doing things just depends how deep the pockets are and how many . :coolio:

5. Gen1SVE

Just so you know IAT = Intake Air Temperature...

6. Gerald m.

yup I control my air temp with the water as much as I can but then I just have short runs so it doesn't give me much of a problem .