1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Spooling with NOS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by 86turboGT, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 86turboGT

Im wanting to spool my turbo a little sooner. I Have a NOS powershot (plate) kit that I used before going turbo. I was just curious how I could convert this kit do make the turbo spool faster. Im not that concerned with making more power just wanting to get it sooner than 4200. I have thought about going with meth but i have this kit laying around and would like to save the $ if i could. Here is my dyno chart.

[​IMG]#ad

2. Drac0nic

Have you messed with the out of boost tune at all? There could be some spool in the timing and no bottle to fill either. Especially the mid range where you're in transition. If you wanted to use the bottle to assist your spool You could always use a hobbes switch with a relay to shut it down after you go to say 5 PSI.

3. 86turboGT

The 441 was at 19° and the 496 was @25°. Would you just us the plate? Or spray infont of the turbo?

4. Bad Medicine Racing

The plate with an adjustable pressure switch. That way you can start really low with where it shuts it off and slowly work it up to where you want it. Then it will leave like it did on nitrous and pull like a turbo. Or you could get a transbrake. That helped mine a lot.

5. 86turboGT

I have a straight drive.... :(

6. Drac0nic

Could always dig a two step up too.

7. Bad Medicine Racing

Or just utilize the high side and side step that mama... :eek:

8. Lance

Is this a "locked out" distributor? :huh:

9. poboyracin

There is nothing wrong with spraying a 75 shot and no need to shut it off after the turbo spools. The nitrous will serve two purposes (1) Spool (2) cooling the charge. The extra power is a side benefit. With a 75 shot I wouldn't worry about pulling more timing but I also wouldn't add any like you could with meth. I don't think the Powershot is adjustable like my Super Powershot so you may have to get another plate or run the 125 hp setup. The adjustable plates with lines run about 150 on ebay.

Spray from under the carb just like you would if it didn't have a turbo. I ran a 41/41 jets in the plate but that was after tuning so you may want to go a little richer with the fuel jet to start out.

10. blown385

11. 86turboGT

It is not locked and im pulling timing with a BTM. I have the lightest springs in the dizzy now. It is fully advanced @ 3000.

12. 86turboGT

Thanks for the info. I would prefer to cut it off just because im already pushing the stock block. I may have the super power shot. The kit says its adjustable from 75-150 but it actually came with 100-175hp jets.

13. TeeJay

Q-Trim wheel in the MPT76?

14. 86turboGT

nope :'( P

15. RI85GT

You do know that "NOS" is a brand name for a nitrous company, and not an all-encompassing name for nitrous ......right? (Not trying to insult you, I know you have s specific NOS kit)

Personally, I would learn to use a two step and save a TON of money.

16. MONTEGOD7SS

Kleenex isn't an all-encompassing name for tissues either, but that's how people know it.

I don't see a reason why you would need NOS on this setup, and you could probably get a lot of help from tuning. Like mentioned, a 2-step helps as well because it lets you go WOT at an rpm that your brakes can hold. If for example you can hold 3k rpm with your brakes, you will be able to have a higher throttle position at the same 3k rpm if you have a 2-step.

17. 86turboGT

10-4 I will just try to use the 2 step when i go to the track in the spring. I just had it laying around and thought i might could benefit from it.

18. 86turboGT

Re: Spooling with Nitrous

Sorry I have been watching to much Fast and the Furious lately. ;) Im not sure why I even put NOS. I dont even like saying "NOS"! It just happens to be the specific brand of the kit that I have. I will rig my 2 step up shortly and see how it goes.

thanks
    corey

19. Kellyo77

Lol you beat me to it. I was gonna give the whole NOS to N2O spill. Fuckin' NAWS.

Anyway, I agree about the 2-step. Try that route before adding nitrous. If you still aren't happy, I will help you get the bottle setup.
    And for the love of all that is holy, stop saying NOS.

20. 86turboGT

LOL I dont say it. I even sell the drink and draw-up when people say "hand me one of those NAWS" I cant stand it. lol

thanks for the help.

bridal-shoal