1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

NAVY, Officer candidate

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by white88lx, Feb 4, 2009.

1. white88lx

Well, im in the my fourth year of college at ASU studying materials science and engineering, the last year i have been thinking about joining a Navy program called Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate program (NUPOC). They pay you to finish college then once your graduated you have the choice of becoming a nuclear officer on a surface ship or submarine. After 3 months of paper work and one stressfull/nervous day at Washington D.C. last week for my interviews i am in. Woot woot :chacha: :D

So after graduation i got about another year and half of schooling for the navy. but thought id let u guys now. Now i have money for my turbo's mustang hehe.

2. flash

congrats!!!!!!!!!!

3. white88lx

thanks

4. 67turbostang

I'd blow my brains out if I had to work on a sub. I've crawled around those things, and let me tell you, they are no place for anyone over 5-6, much less me, at 6-4.

5. white88lx

yeah i know, the navy took to seattle to tour a submarine, it was small, but how many people can say that their office is a submarine. you just need to take the negatives and turn them into positives, like how many people can say that their office consists of a submarine. in two years i will be able to say i am a nuclear engineer for the navy in a submarine.

6. 10secgoal

If I may....

The easiest way to earn respect when becoming an officer is don't act like you know everything. You went to TBS (The Basic School), and some schooling for a job. Just like here man. People there have been doing it, you just read about it.Nothing worse than a butter bar that knows it more than someone who's been doing it longer than they've been reading about it. that's if you asked. Good lcuk :2thumbs:

7. gotageta5oh

Agreed..... nothing worse than some wet behind the ears butter bar trying to tell you how to do your job.

8. white88lx

yeah i understand and know that, but where did that come from? i was just stating that you need take the thought of being stuck in a submarine for 6 months and turn it into a positive thought.

but anyways, thanks for your opinions.

9. gotageta5oh

It was more advice. After 6 years in the USN I know what I am talking about.

Treat your subordinates with respect because some of them will always know what's up. Alienate them from the beginning and you are going to have a tough time getting them back.

10. white88lx

whats your position? what do you do?

11. gotageta5oh

I am not in anymore. However, I was an avation electronics technician on the F-14 Tomcat.

I wanted to be a seal but my knee thought otherwise. :(

12. 10secgoal

Because they will try to teach you otherwise in OTC. You are better, you know better, etc. Trying to get inside your head before they do is all. :D

13. Cobra93

I made it to a flight physical and found out my knee to hip anatomical measurement was about 1 1/2 inches too long. I wish I was in your shoes because all I ever wanted to do was fly with the navy or be a nuke officer. Good luck and congratulations.

14. turbofreek

congrats man keep us free and safe

do you think the navy would like you to be known as personel of a nuclear sub or ship? i dont think they will like much of that to be shared during your service for our country? im just sayin

15. 67turbostang

looselipssinkships.jpg #ad

16. Kellyo77

Haha! Good find!

17. white88lx

yeah, your right... just was excited.