1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I inherited a iron block 6.0L. Its a burn victim.

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Bte85nova, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Bte85nova

So the original purchaser of the engine was removing it from the 2wd work van shipping crate and he accidentally set the interior on fire. Lol. It melted the 4l80es bell housing and melted the intake and valve covers Fire department foamed it and filled it with water which was drained the day after. ..... do you think the short block is Salvageable? Is there value if it is? imagejpeg_0(2).jpg #ad

2. B E N

Possibly but why bother? 6.0 truck engines are a dime a dozen. Seems silly to put a bunch of resources into it.

3. Bte85nova

This one didnt cost a dime Back up maybe

4. Disney Lincoln

It's probably fine.

5. Bad Medicine Racing

Since when are 6.0s a dime a dozen? They are the most expensive iron block LS engine out there.

I just had one sleeved because it was way cheaper than finding a new block.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  6. Disney Lincoln

12 grand a dozen around here.

Bad Medicine Racing likes this.
  7. B E N

There are 3 on craigslist local right now (albeit the price on one is outrageous), and the junkyards are riddled with them. You can usually buy a complete running driving 6.0 truck for about 2k. Were not talking about 427 side oilers, original hipo hemis or original ZL-1 engines here, its just an LS.

8. Disney Lincoln

Tell that to the people in the south. You say SIX POINT OH at any car meet around here and hunned dolla bills start flying everywhere, kids run and hide, and women drop trou.

Drac0nic likes this.
  9. B E N

Southerners have sure got a lot more passion for it.

10. Disney Lincoln

They go for a 6.0 like a Yenko 69 Camaro driven by Dale Earnhart.

Drac0nic likes this.
  11. Bad Medicine Racing

Its because all they think is "bigger motor more powers". And some of us run the same numbers as their 6.0s with 4.8s...

12. B E N

I felt like "southerners sure are simple fxxks" might offend someone... Passionate seemed more kind.

13. Bad Medicine Racing

MOST of us have thicker skin than that. But there is always that one.

14. Drac0nic

For the NA or street car guys I could see it making more of a difference. For the guys doing race cars and/or boosted ones less so.

Pop the pan and heads off, see what it looks like, oil the shit out of everything, replace all the rubber stuff and keep it as a spare bullet.

15. Mnlx

They're not cheap up near me either. The average running gen 3 6.0 brings about $1k. The 4.8/5.3 can be found for $300-500 though.

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  16. flyinhillbilly

They go for about a grand here too.
    I recently lucked into an LS2 With 821 heads for $100 though.