1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What's needed to convert to AWD ? (sn95 Stang)

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 724QuikFast, Sep 10, 2018.

1. 724QuikFast

First off i NEED to say don't put it past me to not do it.

I have custom built a gokart out of vertical-shaft lawnmower mower. [​IMG]#ad
    I have also taken power-washer engines and put it on a Deere lawn mower [​IMG]#ad
    (old pics,i dont feel like digging for newer ones). And that was despite all the crap people gave me saying it wasnt worth the time ,effort ,or money so keep THAT type of comment to your self! i dont tolerate it!!

Same thing with my mustang build. i custom fabbed my exhausts for dual turbos up top with hood scoops.

anywhooo...

Who here has a knowledge of car parts of different makes and models and can send me a direction or two on what parts could be compatible..how they work . Are all AWD setups the same ? Yes i have some researching to do but ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED !

Hopefully i dont have to do anything to the rack and pinion, or if i do hopefully it isnt too much.

Wouldnt it be amazing to see an AWD Mustang ? Hell yeah!!

If it feels attainable to me dont expect it anytime soon. i dont have disposable income at the moment. I still need to do a few things to the car as it is.

2. 91turboterror

V8 and AWD was done on a mustang in 1965 by the way . You could pirate a bunch of parts off a v8 awd explorer I'd imagine I think the aode/4r70w trans is the same bolt pattern as a v8 so you'd have a trans and transfer case then . You'll need the front diff, axles ,spindles . Custom front suspension to accommodate front axles. You might have to make clearance for front diff & steering. It might be easier to drop mustang body on explorer frame

3. 87turbonotch

Get a Honda Pilot and swap the running gear to the mustang.

4. 724QuikFast

*researching..* Ah..Ken Block. Very interesting build for sure.
    hmm.. I should say i am rocking the good ol' 3.8 v6 manual trans(because i've seen firsthand what a 4 cylinder honda is capable of and dont need a v8) I wonder if the Explorer stuff will fit with minimum-to-medium effort. Great recommendation by-the-way. Much appreciated. Might as well see if the wheels will fit while im at The Yard. I will look into dropping the body onto a new frame but i dont think i will go that route. Does sound interesting as i would like a 3" raise anyway for some offroading.

Gosh i hope i'm not talking to much and will actually do it. i hate doing that. But i've been in this position before with smaller projects. This is just a more expensive one LOL.

I have no idea but i will look into it.

5. Mnlx

Very simple, Mustang body on 4x4 truck frame of your choice..... a weekend project with enough beer.... mudstang1.jpg #ad

6. 91turboterror

Explorers rangers and mustangs have the same bolt circle