1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Early LQ4 Piston question......HELP!!

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by rockoosi1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rockoosi1

While cleaning up a few things on my current project I found a very small crack on the bottom ring land of one piston. This motor has the non coated skirts and pressed in wrist pins. I have some spares but they are the ones that are coated.

1. Do you think one oddball piston would result in a major imbalance? Has anybody ever done this successfully?

2. Does anybody have a spare non coated piston and rod? Thanks!

2. Rickracer

Any way to weigh them? I would think you could make them match if the odd one was heavier...I always balance my own stuff then send a sample of each piece, the damper and the flexplate/flywheel to the balancer.

3. rockoosi1

I thought about that I just need to find a scale or a machine shop that can weigh them.

4. Rickracer

I borrowed an electronic paint scale, :coolio: , (now years later, I own it). I made my own rod weighing fixture.

5. rockoosi1

I just called my local machine shop and they are gonna weigh it for me....Stay tuned!

6. trbo355

Is your replacement piston a pressed pin or floating? If its coated and pressed pin it will work. It also makes it a 1 year only 2004 piston to be coated and non floating. Wont work if its a floating pin 2005 newer because there is a .002 difference in wrist pin diameter. Stupid GM had to make the damn wirst pin diameter just a tad different and screw up interchangeability!

7. rockoosi1

Well, for anybody following along that might find themselves in this boat, I just had the two assemblies weighed and it was a 45 gram difference. This was with piston, rod with no cap or bearings and no rings. Oh well back to the hunt for one stupid piston.

8. sbmalibu

I will have to confirm but im pretty sure I have a complete set of pistons and rods from a 2000 lq4. Message me if ya need some. I was gonna hold on to a couple but might let 1 or 2 go.

9. Forcefed86

What kind of RPM are you turning. I wouldn't' worry about it personally. I ran 2 random coated pistons with my 6 uncoated. Ran great for a year, though I did blow it up eventually after a ton of abuse and highboost. (it went 8's in the quarter) Not sure what failed but I doubt it was related. Jy motor is a JY motor. Keep the revs reasonable, toss that sucker in and run it. :)

I just ball honed mine and tossed in the new assy.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. rockoosi1

Don't you just love these things?!?!

11. sbmalibu

Did your pistons show up today? If not hopefully tomorrow. Let me know. :encouragement:

12. rockoosi1

Yep!! I really appreciate it too! I'll send you that package today and will keep you posted once I get it back together. Thanks again!

13. sbmalibu

cool,i was hoping it would get out there before the weekend. Hope they work out and hope u have a place for the stickers. lol. I have been looking at injection systems and our turbos since I talked to you so I will keep you in the loop on my progress also.

14. rockoosi1

Please do and I will do likewise

15. sbmalibu

Got that package from ya today. Thanks!

16. rockoosi1

Thank you!! Sorry for the delay but I ran out of stamps...lol. I have the long block back together now so I will be posting pictures soon.