1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Balancer install goof-up on LQ4

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by hoopty5.0, Mar 11, 2014.

1. hoopty5.0

So I did it, stripped out the snout of the crank - or - just the threads on the bolt itself.

Does anyone know what size tap I can chase the threads in the crank with to clean them up?

Thanks,
    Collin

2. vwdave

Why dont you measure the bolt? I believe its either 16mm or 18mm.

3. Chuck L

Using a "standard" tap to clean threads, may cause more to be removed.. Use only a thread chaser.
    Next try, use a balancer installer.

4. jay_rich

It is a M16x2.0 Thread. Ask me how I know.....snapped an ARP balancer bolt in removing it! Luckily I work at a machine shop so I had them toss it on an EDM and burn it out then chased the threads.

This time around I will be using a threaded rod and nut to install the balancer

Jay

5. hoopty5.0

Thanks guys, I believe I'll be using Jay's method above to install as well instead of my previous 'cave man' approach!