1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what do i need for the ignition

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by boostedbucket, Jan 20, 2014.

1. boostedbucket

I am planning on running twins on a sbc, I have a streetfire(msd cheaper brand) hei distributor. Can I use this hei with a msd 6530? If so is there anything else I need? If I cant use the hei what would you recommend.

thanks

2. ng8264723

I'm running a HEI (accel) with the timing loccked at 20 with a vaccum advance. It sucks when you start it in the cold. It also has an off idle bog. It does pull hard when it gets going but the lag sucks. I purchased a safeguard which i hope to install this weekend. I'm goinbg to then let the timing fly and see what happens. Read up on the safeguard. I have a lot of good things about them

3. H.P.Ranch

Yes you can use the HEI just lock it and set timing to 36* then let the 6530 do the rest in the map mode after programming. You will need a map sensor if you choose this route. Just make sure you get the msd and not the eddy. I wouldn't use the vacuume advance in the dizzy or the mechcanical weights, let the 6530 do it all for you. Low timing will cause bog previous poster, plus not enough pump shot.

4. boostedbucket

So I just set the timing to 36* lock it down, remove vacuum and mechanical advance and program with the 6530??? Is this correct

5. Drac0nic

Not 100% sure how the MSD box works, but what you should have is probably base advance+ECU advance=total advance. Starting at 36 degrees would make the engine virtually impossible to crank over. You will need to tack the weights and get a vac advance delete kit or run a distributor for an EFI/CC system. A small cap or large cap HEI should work for it, something like the 80s CC Q-jets or a TBI distributor. I would go that route if you're planning on getting a new one instead of buying something to modify.

Lastly 36 may or may not be too much timing for you. If you're running old school wedge heads on a 350 it will probably be close. Newer heads like the L05 TBI heads or a set of Vortecs will probably want less. If you're in boost you want to run less than 36 degrees timing or you'll likely puke a HG out.

6. boostedbucket

What would be the recommended ignition system for a twin 350 system if I decided to go new distributor and all???

7. boostedbucket

What would be the recommended ignition system for a twin 350 system if I decided to go new distributor and all??? This is a mild street build only plan on running max 10psi and spinning the motor to 5900???

8. H.P.Ranch

Go to msd site download instructions for 6530.
    Read and understand what this box does for you.
    Then you will know what your distributor needs to do for you.
    Not trying to be smart but you need to know how this works.
    We'll be here if ya need us.

9. boostedbucket

Yes I have downloaded the entire instructions and read them, I was just wondering if this was the setup most guys run for boost or do they go with the regular dizzy, I have been reading a lot on the forum and some guys say when locked down there is a hesitation and I want to avoid that since it is a street car. I am just trying to get the most info before I undertake this build so I can be happy with the end product.

10. Rickracer

The guys running locked timing distributors could very well have starting or driveability problem, but with the 6530 box, your distributor is locked and the box controls the timing curve, based off the curves you set up, according to MAP and/or RPM readings. With that box, the distributor is not that important, it is just a trigger for the box, and a physical means of distributing/conducting the spark from the coil to each individual plug wire/spark plug. When you set up your curve, you set the distributor (trigger) at the max advance you will want to run, and the box pulls timing however you set it up.

11. boostedbucket

Thank you rickracer that makes sense now!!!!

12. leeperryracing

Im running that exact same streetfire dizzy, which I have locked out and using a mallory hyfire 6 box to control everything

13. H.P.Ranch

This is usually because the timing is locked to low, and they are not using the 6530 to control timing, or don't have it programmed correctly. It's like Rick said above all you use the dist. for is a trigger. Will a factory HEI work yes it will, do you have to have a msd dist. no, you just need the 6530.

14. boostedbucket

Thanks for clearing that up, I will be ordering the box this week

15. leeperryracing

yea people lock out dizzies and run 20* of total timing, then wonder why the temp gets to 230* in 5mins, run like shit and gets 2mpg.

16. DeboDaddy

+100. My last sbc was "super budget". Thought I could lock the timing at 18* (that's as high as I could for it to still hot start), then fought a low speed hesistation and overheating problems. The guy that bought my car now has a 600hp n/a sbc in it and it has no problems staying cool using my exact old cooling system. And all that time I thought it was my fans... Learned the hard way on that one. lol

17. leeperryracing

I lock mine out at 34*(230 dur cam) with a 10* start retard to go easy on the starter and use the mallory box to pull .75* per psi. I get crisp throttle response at all speeds, good mpg out of boost and it sits on the 180* t-stat no matter how hot it is outside.

18. H.P.Ranch

I believe people are seeing people lock there timing down low and think they can do the same, what your not seeing is the rest of the story about what is going on with the timing when not at max boost. Seems like efi guys always run alot less timing so don't compare to carb when it comes to timing even on same engine.

19. leeperryracing

good advice there.

20. wild84

I run the exact same setup (Streetfire w/6530 msd box) as previously stated, you lock the timing at the MAX and the box will pull from there. The box will not add timing, only pull timing. I run 40* base (8.8cr, 221cc heads, 355ci, and a 250* cam) and regularly see 7000 rpm. Lock-tight the screws that hold the rotor to the distributor. Ask me how I know....