1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What color are Koni SPA-1 drag struts?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TurboSN95, May 3, 2003.

1. TurboSN95

Just curious...... I have a set that I bought used online a while back, the fronts are orange/yellow in color, the nose has always been very stiff. Wondering if I actually got drag struts or some other form of racing struts. No matter what setting I throw them on, its just stiff. I got SPA-1 drag shocks though, and they are red, but I have yet to install them.

2. Superskwrl

They are red and have SPA-1 stamped on them somewhere although the stampin is only like1/4" letters

3. TurboSN95

Well guess what folks, if they are red, these are not SPA-1's. I have red SHOCKS, but the struts this person sold me are orange/yellow. So all this time i'm wondering why the car isn't coming up when I launch it.

4. Superskwrl

The yellows are the road race style, and imo are very stiff, The SPA-1 def will let the front end come up, i went from 12.20's to 11.65 N/A changing nothin more than the struts (ok maybe i turned the distributer a lil)
    Car would just lift the tires a lil which shocked me cause it was N/A daily driver

Get some of SPA 1's and watch the paint fly off the rear bumper cover J/K

5. TurboSN95

I think i'm going to try the tokico drag's... anyone interested in some yellow koni struts, and some spa-1 shocks?

6. Snipe656

I was told not too long ago that Koni changed their color schemes and I think they are all yellow now days. I know they had a red/orange/yellow back in the day and I do not know if what I was told about them all being the same color now days is true. Is there a part number anywhere on them? If so call Koni up :tu:

7. TurboSN95

I dont have the car right now, when I get it back i will.... I figured the color thing would answer the question.

8. Turbocrazed

Yeah I had the same set of struts on my car as well and it was hard to push up and down and did not launch all that great. They worked great on the street but not at the strip. I thought that since they were adjustable that I could loosen them up but that is not the answer. I finally just bought some of the new comp engineering struts and shocks. Hopefully they will work fine. Paul