1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PLEASE READ NEED HELP!!! Smoke on deceleration

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by n20blkgt, Oct 20, 2010.

1. n20blkgt

Please help!!! I have a turbo mustang with all new parts. The motor has less than 5% leak down. I sent the 78hpsh back to Percision twice and both times they say that the turbo is just fine. I can drive anywhere with it and no smoke. I run the piss out of it on the interstate no smoke. I run the 1/4 mile and no smoke until I get on the breaks. Now it is not right away it is about 100 to 200 feet pass the traps. What i do is hit the brakes let off hit the brakes let off then start riding them until i stop. On the second pump to the slow down is where it starts to smoke. My turbo has a 10an drain line, the turbo requires no restrictor. I do not have a catch can but I also do not have any oil blow by out of the valve cover breathers. Please give me any ideas you may have.

2. stangman9897

Is the turbo low mount, if the oil drain is in the front of the pan when you hit the brakes all of the oil is being pushed to the front of the pan and making the oil run up your drain line and backing the turbo drain up which = smoke . move the drain to the side near the back of the pan and run a vac pump or something to pull a vac on the crank case and no more smoke.

3. n20blkgt

I just have the valve covers vented out to the air. also I remoeved the pvc and put a filter there. I am not getting oil misting out of either of the three spots.

4. n20blkgt

no it is mounted about the passanger cylinder head level.

5. ash

can you do a pass, and not drive the car back.... get a tow... just for a look....
    if you drop the turbine oulet pipe off, is it oily there ??? if soo, take the turbine housing off,and see if its from the exhaust ports in the head, or from around the shroud , under the turbine wheel... if not, no oil coming from turbine wheel end... that seal ring is more for sealing the exhaust gas, from getting into bearing housing...
    if the exhaust ports are oily, now see where its coming from..
    next ,take the compressor cover to intake tube off.... any oil smeared around the inside of the tube ??? if not, the front compressor seal is ok....
    turbo should be ok now...
    next.... valve stem seals ?? when going through the traps, , the throttle is closed... the intake and intake runners now have vacume in them..
    oil 'can' be drawn in from intake stem seals, and or intake gasket on cylinder head...
    if the intake gasket was "dodgy" ( aussie slang for not working real well...), you also would have a bit of crankcase pressure , under boost conditions.... Is this the case ???
    if not, could be the intake valve stem seals...

just a process of eliminations.. :)

6. n20blkgt

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts. It gives me a direction to move in.