1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What always "breaks" power connection? (EFI/coil-pack car) [[ FlameThrower ]]

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 724QuikFast, Oct 18, 2018.

1. 724QuikFast

I'm thinking of ways to spark the flamethrowers spark plug.

I guess i could use the CrankPositionSensor? Or could send a wire to a pre-existing spark plug ? Maybe just any of the wires going to the coil pack.

Anyone done something like this ?
    And should i use a relay if i'm not using a switch ?

2. Drac0nic

The way this traditionally worked was you'd have a second ignition coil that would be powered off the points of the ignition system. With a modern EFI system I'd be inclined to try tapping the signal wire of the coil pack. Chances are it's high impedance and wouldn't hurt it.

Also worth noting is traditionally you'd pump the raw gas through the engine and out the exhaust. Not especially good on things like O2s and cats, not to mention the engine.

If I was going to do a modern interpretation it'd be mostly like this:

-stop fuel injection at the engine. Use a relay or relays as needed.
    -You could probably just use a 555 timer and generate a square wave output to the coil pack's input signal and it'd work fine too. I've got a Cruze coil pack I broke a tower on I saved to mess with this on at some point. Keep the duty cycle at about say 300hz and the duty cycle at say 50% and you'd probably be great. If the injectors were stopped I'd just have a switch cut over one of the coil wire signals
    -Have an injector put gas into the exhaust pipe. You would want it fairly far down stream to keep the heat down, and spaced away as well. Maybe a solenoid with a line to dissapate some of the heat and keep hydrocarbons away from the O2s/cat.

724QuikFast likes this.
  3. 724QuikFast

^good stuff. I've wondered how to delay electrical signals also .
    I just tried something . ..havent finished it yet but it's an idea that may fail but i'm going to try it:

For fuel i have the MAF unplugged. No cats or o2s are installed.

I ran a wire from a spark plug tip. The boot snapped firmly back in place.
    i have that wire going to a remote spark plug.
    It does spark.

If anyone has ever been curious how X plugs spark here is a general idea. I always thought they spark at the same time resulting in one big spark... (i like how i can hear the turbo start to whine before the exhaust gets loud)

Now to drill a hole in the exhaust...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. 724QuikFast

I dont think a little spark plug will ignite it. some fuel spray comes out of the exhaust with no flame.
    Straight pipe. 2". 1.9L cylinder bank.

5. Drac0nic

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555-astable-calculator

Radio Shack is dead but this is all litterally Radio Shack parts. Punch say 300hz 50% DC in the calculator and use those values. I've got a Cruze Coil I want to test this with some.

ED:You'll probably want .082 uF, 3.9K R1 and 27K R2. Find a little protoboard to make it up on. If you know someone with a signal generator you can play around with the coil a bit first and probably figure out a good frequency.

6. 724QuikFast

Well i found this video on how to make one https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTt5sM3moqQ that thing looks lke accidental death waiting to happen. i dont think i want to do flamethrower anymore lol
    Could also buy them from china fo $11 on ebay.

7. 724QuikFast

i just ordered 10 475pF capacitors.
    Should be interesting.
    If anything i'll use it for plasma ignition.

8. Drac0nic

What are you going to use the capacitors for? I've run capacitance on my MIG welder and liked it pretty well honestly. Definitely smooths the arc out.