1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ross piston, eagle rods, any good?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by BlackDragon5.0, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BlackDragon5.0

Got a guy looking to sell me a motor, I'm a little iffy on the parts tho, but it sound like a good deal...

***97 Cobra Teskid Block, 03 Mach 1 heads and intake, ROSS 16 cc forged alum pistons, eagle H-beam rods, Cobra crank, will include injectors, Long tube headers (MAC), MASS meter (C&L), alt. brackets pretty much everything engine is running in the car***

I don't see anybody running ross pistons or eagle rods so I'm a little apprehensive. Plus he doesn't know what oil pump is on the motor.

I plan on running 15-18 pounds of boost when all is said and done, so what do you guys think about it?

If he can't come up with a solid answer on the pump, I'll change that no biggie...

2. TT_05_Stang

No issues with that settup. Just make sure your machine shop goes over everything, and you have some clause in your purchace that says if you find something really f'd up like ringland failure... or any other huge issue that you can either get your money back or get some money back for the broken parts.

Most people will be straight up and sell you good stuff... sometimes once in a while you will get a ripp off artist who will sell you broken shit. I know you said its in the car running... so make sure it is :) and it runs well...

As for the eagle rods... I thought I remember Shane making a statement about the china rods that MMR sells are close to or just as good as Manley, not sure on that though... have to dig that post up. Main thing is the rod bolts. Make sure they are upgraded.

Here ya go
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82422.msg872270#msg872270

All in all Eagle is a good product, and so is Ross. IIRC ross is a heavier piston though than someone like CP or Diamond...

Will

3. SC96COBRA

I run Ross 10 cc pistons in my 4v. I think Ross pistons call for a .006 piston to wall clearance. Don't set yours up that way unless you want piston slap. Mine are .004 and I get very little at cold start. I think most high performance shops are set them around .0032.

4. wiplash

Is this shortblock already assembled?

5. BlackDragon5.0

Its in the car running...

6. wiplash

OK, I asked because Ross has specific rings you need to use with them. If it's already assembled then you should have no worries. And as far as the rods go, if the stock powdered iron rods can live at 450-500 flywheel, the Eagles could probably live at twice that with the ARP 2000 rod bolts.

7. BlackDragon5.0

well see, the guy has stopped responding to me. Maybe I'll just keep searching...

8. JimVT

Nothing wrong with that set-up at all for what you are looking to do. Those parts are fine. The Ross are a little heavier..but no biggie at all.