1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

need some answers for turbo build

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 87notchstroker, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 87notchstroker

i have posted a few things here and there i wanted to put everything in one post,looking for opinions,answers etc...
    building a blow thru 351w fresh .040 long block,hanger 18 modded 650 dp,gt45 ebay turbo,non inter cooled(to start out)going in a completly gutted fox,no dash one seat etc,built c4 3.55s.
    -Cheapest/bare minimum msd box btm etc to pull timing under boost?
    -what to start timing at once running?
    -proper ring gap for turbo?(stock short block redone)
    -can i use an inline efi pump for blow thru setup with 4309 regulator? inline wal. 255?
    -is 8an feed and return ok for the fuel system?
    -will the stock camshaft get me decent power? from a 79 f150 non roller,if not whats a good ots flat tap cam?
    ive got a parts list here but before i pull the trigger i want to get some other opinions,looking for 10 sec 1/4 times.this is an awesome site with alot of ppl that no there stuff so hopefully some one can chime in,i want the bare minimum/cheapest parts that will get me going

2. 87notchstroker

some one has to have advice on this, anyone?

3. Mike86Stang

Vortech and MSD BTM's are usually available used for quite cheap. Not sure if I would use one though, everyone says they are garbage.

Depends.. compression? boost?iron or alum heads? cam specs? fuel grade and type?

Stock should be fine unless your throwing a lot of boost at it.

Assuming you can regulate the pressure down enough I don't see why not.

It's plenty for 10's.

No idea here.. any info on the stock cam? If it's anything close to the mustang cam specs it should get you there.

4. 87notchstroker

will be iron headed 351w cr should be that of a stock 79 351w huge dish pistons and heads are 67-69cc so 8 something ill look it upto find exact cr but it is some were in the 8s,ill be running 91 octane ,cam im not sure id like to use the one i have but im thinking about finding one that is similar to an f 303 and getting it since i here they are decent for turbo builds,i have an f303 here in my other 306 but dont want to buy lifters right now,i think i may get an msd 6530,bubt i do have a vortec btm availible for cheap ill seee if i have the funds for the 6530 when its closer to start up

5. mustang-junky

I always wondered how this cam would work in a turbo application.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=824&sb=2

Solid flat tappet
    228* int 227* exh duration at .050", lift
    .478 int. .475 exh,
    lobe sep 114*.

Add some 1.7 rockers and the lift goes up to .507 and .504. For a stockish build I think it would work well. Looks similar to a F-303 just looking at the basic numbers.

Jess

6. 87notchstroker

i was thinking of running a solid cam but then id have to buy the lifters for it,cant deside on buying a solid cam and lifters and springs,or just suck up and get some link bars and run the f cam i have here,i can just drill the holes out and throw the e7s on it to make it simple since they have the springs for the cam and all.

7. 87notchstroker

another off topic question,have any of you ever compared a stock truck oil pan to the fox swap pan from ford? im thinking of making my truck pan work because it looks like the only difference is the center section is lower on the swap pan but not so sure

8. mustang-junky

The cam I listed is a flat tappet cam, solid flat tappet lifters are cheap.

Jess

9. 87notchstroker

yes i no its a ft cam but its a solid not hydraulic,i already have a new set of hydraulic lifters here i wanted to use,but if you think this would be a good cam for my setup then im all for it il be honest im not a cam person lol