1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Welding on a stock tank

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PowerStrokinIt, May 24, 2005.

1. PowerStrokinIt

How are you guys welding on a stock tank that has had fuel in it?

I am thinking of filling it with water to displace the fuel vapors.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tobin

2. kazlx

Just buy a new tank. It is a giant PITA to get it clean enough to weld on.

3. braxton357

You can also let it sit open for a day and purge it with an inert gas such as argon while welding...

4. twinturbostang

No worries. :D

weldingmechanic.jpg #ad

5. NIL8GM

Hook up a hose or tubing to the tail pipe of a running vehicle. Let it run for a while. This purges it like a charm.
    Rick

6. tiny4lx

I used Fast Orange spray then washed it out and let it sit for a day. I had no problems at all welding a sump on it.

7. turbo capri

I washed mine with some good degreaser, then used the tail pipe trick while welding. Worked perfectly.

8. SWT Racing

Not really. I just squirted about a 1/4 bottle of Polmolive in mine and washed it out. Worked like a charm.

9. Linc's 84 351

Rinsed out with 4 bottles of isopropyl alky, dumped in a little simple green, and some water and sloshed it around a bunch, rinsed well, then hooked up the electric leaf blower to the filler tube and vented through the sender hole for about a hlaf hour.

10. kazlx

I just saw a few threads on it before and people mentioned they could never really get it clean enough. I never had the balls to actually try it myself. I always figured better safe than sorry.

11. quarterstang86

Any Radiator shop can clean it for you.

Take the gas out, wash it out, and drop it off for the tank bath at a Radiator shop. I've done this to 2 of my tanks, one of which directly following I had a sump welded onto.

FYI - The Radiator shop actually has a hot bath for these types of things. Alittle water to rinse any residue out after the shop and your good to weld.

12. spankustang

That's how I did my last tank!!!

13. vixid

i just welded mine a few weeks ago. all i did was let it sit with all the holes open for a few days then i rinsed it with water, filled it up sealed everything off and flipped it upside down. no explosions, not even a fizzle. but im not going to say this is the safest way. i TIGed mine and it turned out good no leaks.

14. BLWN1

Those who have done this, is the sump doing ok, or would you suggest a fuel cell?

15. Rodrigues

I rinsed mine out with water quite a few times but I when I was grinding the square for the sump the tank exploded a little. There was a large vent on the bottom side so nothing really happened. Ended up working alright, Id probably have it purged next time :)

http://kak.com/camaro/fuel/DSCN1098.JPG

PS: Made the sump from scratch ;)

16. FastAOD

I emptied mine out and rinsed it a few times...Let it sit for about a week, then rinsed it again.....Then welded on it for a couple days....LOL

No probs here...

17. frcfed347

i just let the hose run in it for like an hour and then put soap and water for another hour and emptied it and started welding.

18. 351sn95

go to a radiator and get it boild out then weld it thats what a local chassis guy in my area told me