1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Welding/matching v-bands to sch10 pipe?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by I6CJ7, Jun 16, 2022.

1. I6CJ7

Obviously V-bands are mad for tubing, and not pipe. So what's the best way, or size to match with pipe?

2" Sch10 has an OD of ~ 2.375" (give or take according to specs)

So would it be better to use a 2.25" V-band, and try to sand down the stainless pipe a few thousandths to fit it into the flange..

Or go with a 2.5" v-band and have it slip over the pipe, then weld up the gap with filler?

2. B E N

I would just gap it; a 1/16 gap is quick to fill. uniformly removing 1/16" is more time consuming, and you have to weld anyway.

I6CJ7 likes this.
  3. KEVINS

Stuff a coat hanger or some sort of wire in the gap to hold it in position then weld away.

ks

I6CJ7 likes this.
  4. Mnlx

Either will work just fine. I usually go the smaller of the two, it many times gives you a nice place to butt weld vs a fillet weld. Very clean, especially if you're tig welding.

I6CJ7 likes this.
  5. I6CJ7

Using filler/wire to center it in the gap is a good idea.

I had thought about using 2.25" V-bands to butt weld it as well. But till probably go with the 2.5" bands because i can get those in a copper o-ring style for good sealing. I'm welding 304 sch40 2.5" to 2" reducers on to my cast manifolds outlet. Then from the fresh 304, 2" outlet will be the v-bands. And the rest will mostly be stainless 321 sch10.

I will be using tig, and 309 filler along with 347 filler iirc for the 321

6. KEVINS

If the gap tends to be too large to weld cleanly make a bunch of slits in the ring then tap them tight against the pipe to close up the gap as you weld.

ks