1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Weird ignition, fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by yan88gt, Sep 18, 2005.

1. yan88gt

I just finished my mass-air conversion. I started the car and it started with no hesitation and the idle was very smooth, perfect. When the car was idling i removed the spout connector on the distributor to adjust the timing and the car shut off instantly. I then put the connector in but the car don't want start. What is very weir is when i turn the distributor ( like if i wanted to adjust the timing) and the key on the ON position the fuel pump is priming. I keep turning the distributor from a side to another and the fuel pump is priming and turning on,off constantly.I checked all the wires in the EEC connector and everything is fine. Also when i turn the key to ON the fuel pump is priming normaly. It's like if i was grounding the fuel pump when i'm turning the distributor. I have 35 psi of fuel pressure when the engine is cranking and i also have spark. Please help!

2. rxracer

how long was the car idling, before you pulled the spout connector?

3. yan88gt

Maybe 2-3 minutes. I have 42# injectors if it can help. Thanks!

4. TwinTurboStrokr

TFI Module.. Bye bye..

5. yan88gt

Any ways to test the TFI module? I was told on the corral.net that it was normal to hear the fuel pump when turning the distributor with the key on?!?! anyone can confirm this? If someone could do the test, i would appreciate. Thanks!

6. TwinTurboStrokr

Yes, pull it off and take it to autozone, discount, etc, they all can bench test it.

Chilton's and Haynes manuals for 88-93 Mustangs will also outline a test procedure with a voltmeter.

7. Eric88T

I also heard you can bypass it through the ignition and do a clutch dump to start your car. Anyone have anymore info on this?

8. TwinTurboStrokr

WTF, are you typing here??:tard:

9. yan88gt

Start the car on the compression with a 5 speed will start the car if your starter is dead but if it's the ignition, the car wont start.

10. TwinTurboStrokr

Yan88gt,

I know..

This is an inside joke between Eric and myself, however his sense of humor is a little twisted. ;)

11. yan88gt

I found my problem. It was a bad fuse link. I don't know wich one it was exactly, i think it's the one for the fuel pump since i can hear the fuel pump priming every time i reconnect it. I don't know why it stop when i removed the spout connector, but now the car run like a champ. Anyone know what happened? I had 35 psi of fuel pressure when i was cranking the engine??!!?