1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cooling questions

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by dug, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dug

So I tried mocking up the turbo/radiator/intercooler in my 1970 chevelle last night and ran into a few fitment issues. Basically the turbo is hitting the radiator so I was going to get a narrower radiator to make it work out. What radiators have any of you been using on a ~700hp motor that is street driven? I'm looking at about a 26 inch wide radiator and am wondering if anyone thinks I'll have a problem with this. Not sure which fans to go with yet but thats not the big issue. Apparently there isnt as much room in the front of my car as I thought. :huh:

edit: I did try the search function but didn't come up with much.

2. Racinjason81

how tall of a rad do you need? Summitracing.com has universal chevy Rads in a few sizes.Summit Race rad 26 by 19 with trans cooler 209.99.Be cool rad 26.5 by 20 for 199.99 Griffin 26 by 19 for 195.99 Howe rad 26 by 19 for 205.99

3. dug

you know, I failed to measure the height of it. whoops. but I did see some of those radiators on summits site when I was looking the other day. I guess I'll just have to try one and see if it works. Thanks for the reply.

4. Racinjason81

no problem

5. Saywhen

Probably not going to have much luck with small rad on the street. Don't know if you could but with g bodys I have seen the raditor moved in front of the core support to make room.

6. Hemann

I agree with the above.

My brothers '72 Nova has quite a bit of room in front of the support.

7. dug

It would seem as though that the chevelle would have a lot of room up in front of the support but it doesn't. I had to cut some stuff out just to fit the intercooler. I ended up getting a 27.5 x 19, 2 core radiator. So I guess I'll just have to test it and see what happens unfortunately. I really hope I'm not going to have a lot of problems because there isn't room anywhere else.

8. BlownShovel

Dug,
    Definitely not much room in front of the radiator. And you are correct, plenty of cutting just to get the intercooler in there. (Unless you go Air to Water). Positioning of the turbo can also help/hurt radiator options. Good luck with the current setup and please report back how things work out.
    Walt

9. Saywhen

Oh a/a. I should have know from your first post. Something I ran into with a GN before with a 5" thick intercooler and f body radiator it would run to hot on the street and after a run. Messed around with it a found the hot air was recirculating through about a 1" gap between it and the intercooler. Made a shroud and it completely fixed the problem.

10. dug

My only problem with the turbo positioning is that it can really only go one direction now. The kit I got from BG here on the site was for a camaro so that might be why it's a tight fit. I have to point the outlet of the turbo towards the firewall as it is, and run a u-turn somehow just to get to my intercooler. I should be getting in a radiator next week and I shouldn't have any problems fitting it but it will be a while till it starts up. I will certainly keep you posted. Hows your car going?

11. dug

So are you saying that I should make a shroud from the intercooler to the radiator? so that no air can come in between the intercooler/radiator? Do you have a picture? Sorry I'm a little confused. :doh:

12. Saywhen

Sorry don't have any pics. I was just having problems at idling/ low speed and after a run it was fine while driving. The intercooler was bigger than the core support opening and sat against it so the air had to go through the intercooler, but the rad. was smaller than the core support opening. If thier is a opening between the core support and intercooler you should be fine cold air will be drawn from under the car. Just check were the air is drawn from with a paper towel and your fan running.

13. BlownShovel

Not as well as expected. Home ownership/auto blues are just taking any extra cash at the moment. I'm gonna mess around with the turbo 4 project at the track and daily drive it. If I'm lucky I'll get the Shovel to the track later in the year but I'm not gonna push. Major unexpected projects around the house are probably going to win in '09 :'(