1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Weiand 144 blower on 350?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by mikej, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mikej

Hi

I know this is a turbo forum, but I thought you guys could help me out with this supercharger question. I recently started looking into the small 144 blower from Weiand, and they claim it can make 400+ horsepower out of a mild 350. It is designed to work on stock engines without high compression, and I'm pretty sure you don't need forged internals if everything is set up right. Anyways, I'm on a budget and the engine I have is a 1973 350 2-barrel engine that is stock except for a free flowing dual exhaust system. I estimate it probably is making about 200hp/330tq right now. The engine has 8.5-1 compression which is good. Most people install these blowers on 9-1 and even 9.5-1 motors so my compression is very safe. The main thing I'm wondering about is how the blower would work with my engine's stock restrictive heads/cam. I'm wondering if I could make 300-345hp/400tq or so with the blower. I'm thinking it would make good hp improvements until the heads become a restriction and strong torque improvements, but I'm not sure. They recommend you use a big carburetor with these blowers, like a 750. Then run the carb rich and possibly retard timing to be safe.

Just wondering what your opinions are and I appreciate any input.

2. slow8.0

It sounds like you got it all right. Let er rip.

3. 72much

4. darkostoj

havent you read this thread

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61219.2900

he is running 25lbs of boost on a stock longblock with high miles with a 100 nitrous shot and the thing didnt blow.

to the thread starter, read the above link(its a long one) and it will answer most of your questions

5. 72much

I don't think MikeJ is out to see how fast or how long it will take to blow up his ride. I was just giving advice to something that will last longer than a few weeks or races. Broken a lot of parts in the past from lack of experience. If you read MikeJ post is on a limited budget...

6. mustang-junky

If you run a Holley carb make sure you reference the PV to the manifold. If you don't the PV will never open due to the constant vacuum created by the blower. This is not hard to do.

I had a B+M 177 on a 351 on my last mustang. I could never get the Holley to make good power because I did not know about the PV thing. I ended up with a 750 Edelbrock carb and that ran great.

There is a great article in the newest issue of Hot Rod magazine that goes over a mini blower install on a cast piston 350, you should check it out.

Jess

7. mikej

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

8. mikej

Appreciate your info! It was very helpful. I don't want to blow up this engine because it's my daily driver. I think it'll be just fine if I do everything correctly to accommodate the blower.

9. mikej

I read that and I couldn't believe it! He's pushing loads and loads of boost into a junkyard block or something like that! Insane but also enlightening to a certain extent.